Trickle charge ?

What is the best way to connect a trickle charger - like a Battery Tender - to the Miata ?

I know the cigarette lighter is disconnected when the ignition is off, that would have been ideal...

Looking for a professional and permanent connector I can use when my car is hibernating.

Thanks.

Reply to
RideRT

I have been using the Battery Tender on my Miata for its second winter and it's been great. Always starts. I have the pigtail quick-connect that came with the Tender permanently bolted to the battery termials. I gently slam (an oxymoron?) the trunk over the cable and run it to the carger on my garage floor. Doesn't hurt the charger's cable at all. Just don't forget to quick-disconnet before driving away!

Alan MiniMi the '03 SE

Reply to
AlanRab

Right. If it was me, there would be some banana plugs in the cable. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

There was a system for sale a while back in the magazine that used a battery tender type device in a cord reel so you could hang it from your garage ceiling, out of the way. It used a cigarette lighter connection and so they must have provided some instructions on how to rewire the lighter to be always hot. I'm not sure who made it, I almost want to think it was Clearwater (same people with the speakers) but haven't seen it in several years but it does tell me there is a way to wire the plug differently and thus use that connection.

Tom

92 Red

RideRT wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

In my sister's Jetta ('04 SE) we found in the trunk a nice device. It's a solar battery charger - plate (12in x 10in) with 4 suction cups to mount it on a window, from inside, and wire with lighter plug. VW has lighter socket always on. It's great idea if one parks it's car outside for a long period of time - like on airport parking during vacation trips. I'm not sure if it was a gift from the dealer (Countryside VW in Illinois) or standard Wolfsburg Edition equipment.

Regards, Kempi '01 silver

Reply to
Kempi