Trip Report

I Just Did a Bad Thing...

My wife and my oldest daughter went off to see the circus, leaving the youngest daughter and myself alone with the Miata. In that it's been raining in South Texas for the past week, this was a recipie for mayhem.

After a quick lunch, and the obligatory stop at the gas pump, Melissa and I hit Texas State Highway 16 heading for Medina, TX. The plan was to head West once we got to Medina, going through Leakey on FM (Farm to Market) 337 all the way to Camp Wood. -- According to Ride Texas Magazine

this is one of the best motorcycle rides in Texas. If it's good enough for a bike, it's good enough for a Miata.

As we were exiting the "Cowboy Capital of the World", Bandera, TX, we wound up behind a 6-pack of two-wheelers. We happily followed them until we lost the trailing three to Reese's BBQ in Medina. The other three led us until we hooked the left on FM 337 toward Leakey. -- It really brightened my day when they saluted us as I signaled my turn. Freespirited camaraderie for sure.

Flying solo through FM 337 was incredible. Not only was the road marvelous, the views were spectacular. FM 337 has sweeping curves and tight bends wrapped over the rise and fall of the Texas Hill Country. Valleys, streams, small lakes and working ranches as far as the eyes can see.

The run was cut short at the Frio River. The run-off from the past week's storms was still covering the bridge. The F-250s were slowly working their way across, but I wasn't going to chance it!

So after letting Melissa play on the riverbank for a little while, we hopped back in the car and headed back the way we came. When we finally made it back to Bandera, we stopped at Dairy Queen for a treat. And it was there my 9 year old summed it up best, "Daddy, this is cool!"

And that is exactly why this is a "Bad Thing"... because, even though I've been back in San Antonio long enough to write this and eat dinner, I'm ready to find another road to drive...

180(+) miles / 4h:22m

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

That's a part of my favorite drive, Awesome! You did take 16 up into Kerrville (I think its Kerrville) right? That's the best streach. Have you been over to Austin to fly up and down Lime Creek Road yet? Well, there's your next drive, hey It's a holiday isn't it?

Any other great Texas drives would be appreciated.

The motorcycle road idea is a good one, it adds a ton of 'scouts' to our assistance. Many motorcycle web sites have great / favorite roads threads or databasses.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

hey L... it's addicting ain't it?

for a short, but still nice run, check out Park Road 37 and Ranch Road 1283. take Hwy 16 north out of Helotes, left on PR 37 then right on 1283 to Pipe Creek. this takes you back to 16.

or, go left on 1283, then right on FM 471 through Castroville to La Coste, left on 463(?) to Macdona back to 1604. dave

Reply to
Dave Hansen

I was bummed a couple of weeks ago when I was out at Inks Lake State Park near Burnet, Texas and didn't have the Miata. I was driving a Jeep instead. Then the sky opened up and the rains hit and I was glad I didn't have the Miata or else I would have drowned. I will take a trip back down again soon as it looked like a scenic drive.

Reply to
D. Rogers

Chris -

Thanks for the tip. I'll run up toward Kerrville next time. -- This go 'round I hooked the left at FM 337 before I got up to Kerrville.

If (When) I find other hotspots, I'll drop a line...

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

Jeep vs Miata... tough call...

Thanks for the link. I'll put it to good use.

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

Dave -

I will definately make use of the routes you propose. I live on the Northwestern end of San Antonio. Culebra (FM 471) is mere minutes from the house...

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

Trust me, on that particular day the Jeep was the winner with all the rain coming down. It's great off highway, but it's no fun on sunny days when you want to zoom-zoom. I had the Jeep out on the twisty roads at the "tail of the dragon" in North Carolina recently and about puked going through the twists and turns. It's no sports car that's for sure! Miata would have been perfect for that road, but once again I was at the wrong place with the wrong vehicle. :-)

Reply to
D. Rogers