turbo charger. Does it work

Hello, I am naive since I am not a gear head, but I was thinking about buying this turbo-charger from ebay, item number 2433396395, and wanted to know if it would really work.?. Is this guy selling the famous "Snake Oil" to un-knowing buyers like myself or will it really work. It is currently listed on ebay, can you please check it out. "Thanks" for anyone that answers my concern and question. Gary

Reply to
forgetitgary

Pure snake oil, if not outright fraud. Search images.google.com for "bilge blower" for similar photos. There are real turbocharger kits that will indeed add 100+ hp, but they cost $5000. TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thank you very much, what about intalling the 88 RX-7 AFM. They say it is a true plug and play for my 91 Miata. Is that worth getting for

70.00. Thanks
Reply to
forgetitgary

At the risk of an argument (who, me?), I stand by my opinion that the Randall Duct is the only intake mod worth doing on an M1. I had a JR CAI, until it self destructed, and the Randall cowl intake duct does everything the JR did, except better, cheaper, and with less installation work. Judging by my car's appetite for octane in hot weather, it seems the Randall delivers cooler air to the throttle body than the JR CAI, presumably because the JR airbox and plumbing sat right behind the radiator, both blocking radiator flow and soaking up heat.

You also needn't give up your OEM paper filter cartridge with the Randall duct, so engine longevity won't be impacted by dubious foam or cotton filters. It doesn't prevent you from checking the timing. And finally, the Randall doesn't make odd noises at idle.

Anyone can look up my old raves about the JR CAI. Having owned both, it's obvious to me that the Randall piece is simply better at under half the price. Trust me, you don't feel any sillier than I do about having wasted money on a JR CAI. One possible difference: instead of becoming emotionally invested in car part purchases, I tend to cut my losses and move on. I wasted money on Tokico HP shocks once, too.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You can easily hit the rev limiter without spending $400 or whatever it is for a JR CAI.

Also, I would think the Randall is preferable since the Jackson Racing may ingest hot air from the radiator when accelerating from rest. And directly from the asphalt when at speed.

There were also complaints here that the JR CAI plastic failed.

Now that I have managed to free up some space around my K&N air filter by using Racing Beat's bracket to relocate my cruise control, I am thinking about creating a closed duct to the cowl area. By using a closed duct, I would avoid the need to try to fashion a heat shield to keep the hot air from the header away from my intake. And the engine really does not take in that much air, even at WOT and max rpm. Comments?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I would rather expect some air heated by the radiator sneaks into the JR inlet.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Perhaps; it's been too long since I removed mine for me to recall the exact arrangement, and I'm too lazy to research it right now (or ever). As far as I'm concerned, the JR CAI is ancient history, a relic of the days before better alternatives were available. My former ownership goes in the "live and learn" column.

Getting heated air into my Randall would require some extra plumbing, not included with the kit. :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

If you have the only true Miata color, (white), yes. Otherwise, there will be significant warming of the air over the hood. Especially on those red-hot ones.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Oh oh ! Leon I giving us a break here !!! He knows that the "red ones"!!! are Red hot !

Leon, I never thought I would ever hear it from you!

Bruce RED '91 ( I just couldn't let it go by !)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

That is why the white ones are faster.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Chromadynamic effects are often surprising. For the longest time, red was widely considered one of the most chromadynamically-active colors, but there's been some recent evidence that exotic colors such as Chromalusion True Purpleen and Coarse Blasberry have been able to attain activity levels only previously theorized in abstract.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Poobah. None of the currently-faddish hues can compare to the old MoPar paints, such as Moulin Rouge and Plum Crazy.

Classic Red is positively demure.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny, I'm not certain why you deleted my original assertion:

Chromadynamic effects are often surprising.

Your observations are just further proof of this. Aesthetically pleasing colors aren't always the most performance-enhancing.

I'm a little amazed that someone people will spend $1200 on paint

*alone* to make their Hondas look, so... _different_.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Au contraire, mon cher Dana. "Plum Crazy" persuaded otherwise-intelligent people to actually buy Plymouth Dusters. If that isn't performance-enhancing -- not to mention surprising -- I don't know what is. And no one with normal vision would ever call "Moulin Rouge" aesthetically pleasing; it sold because it was outrageous, and would never be seen on your father's Buick.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Heh. Leaving the murky science of chromadynamics behind for a moment, color selection has always intrigued me. I tend to think the interesting colors of the late 1960s and early 1970s were part of the cultural by-product of the summer-of-love/Peter Max/psychedelica hipness.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Oh, no doubt of that. I still shudder to think of what some of my clothes looked like.

That said, I once saw a beat-up Miata that the indigent-student owner had painted bright lime green (from spray cans). From 20 feet away, it looked pretty good. Bold, outrageous colors are appropriate on Miatas. (Most of the factory colors belong on minivans, not sports cars.)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I was just thinking of bell-bottom/flared jeans. I know there was worse. Fortunately, I was just young enough and my parents were un-hip enough to avoid exposing me to much that period fashion.

Of course, un-hip parents have drawbacks... like the "flood" pants I found myself wearing to first-grade.

On the other hand, it was super-dee-duper cool to have John Fogerty's mother as second-grade teacher right at the crest (and cratering) of that band's popularity. She was so proud of Creedence, she'd bring the records in and play them. Did you know that the inspiration for "Lookin' Out My Back Door" was a Dr. Seuss book, "To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street"? Real CCR fans (there are a few) still roll their eyes wistfully when I mention that I read the exact same copy of that classic text that inspired the song...

I wanted an SE and my wife forbade me from grabbing a yellow one. So, my Miata has a boring color, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with you, Lanny.

The Sunburst Yellow Micah whatever SE really does make a statement and I'm now a little wistful I didn't get it anyway. Oh well. It wouldn't have driven any differently and the titanium color is probably better for a Sebring Sleeper anyway.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers