Update: '90 Miata cranks , but won't start

Thanks to everyone who responded so fast! Some additional info and areas ck'd thanks to your guidance. The timing belt was replaced @ 45M. I confirmed camshafts are turning when the engine is cranked. Note: when the engine did start, it fired immediatly with not so much as a hick-up. Timing was checked at this time. No performance problem when the vehicle did run. Mileage was around

27MPG.It was driven approx 300 miles before the problem surfaced again. During the 300 miles it started every time without any issue. Now it seems to be completely dead and refuses to start. The main relay(JE16)was replaced, fuel inj fuse (30A) and eng fuse(15A) checked OK. Is there a way to put direct power to the ECM and bypass the IGN switch? The Haynes manual shows a blue wire from the ign switch to the IGNITOR and to the IGNITION COIL which is hot when the key is in run position. There are three wires from the IGNITOR to the ECM, ( BRN/YEL, BLK/WHT , & BRN). Are any of these supposed to be hot when the key is in the run position? I don't see any wire marked directly from the ign source to the ECM. I confirmed that the BLU/RED (Room Fuse 10A) is hot at all times going to the ECM. Thanks again for all your help!!
Reply to
darylDJ

I think you're on the right track by suspecting the ign. switch. Is your keyring heavy (more than 3-4 keys)? Have you tried wiggling the switch around as you crank? These switches are a weak point on Miatas, and the cause is usually too much weight hanging from the key.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com:

I guess that proves we're really ARE driving Fords, that's been a bugaboo of Ford cars and trucks since the early 1970s! Does this mean there are ignition switch problems in Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo as well?

Reply to
XS11E