Water pump flange o-ring leaks

I recently did a timing belt replacement, and did the water pump at the same time. Everything worked fine, but after about 10 miles, the water pump flange o-ring started leaking like crazy.

I thought it was on ok when I pushed the flange on, but now I can see it is hanging out of the groove a bit. Now I have to tear down the whole thing and start over.

Anybody know how I can prevent this from re-occuring? Do I need to lubricate it before pushing it on.????

Reply to
bokuglen

The same thing happened to me (or rather my mechanic) - he put in a new water pump and it was leaking by the time I got it home. It transpired that the o-ring that came with the pump was just too soft, and that when tightening the bolts to put on the pump, the ring just squished and didn't seal properly.

My mechanic took it off again and replaced the o-ring with one of his own, and that solved the problem. Seems this is a design/construction flaw on the rings that come with the pumps.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

I was able to remove the o-ring without taking out the timing belt & water pump. I just removed the P/S pump, air box and right fan. Then I could remove the two inlet flange bolts and pull the flange forward. The old o-ring was really torn up. I replaced it with an o-ring from the autoparts store which looked the same. I was sure to lube the ring with antifreeze first and press the flange back on while watching alignment. Started it up and all is ok now.

Thanks.

Eric Baber wrote:

transpired that

Reply to