Water pump shot. TB replacement? $$?

My '97 with 105K is leaking coolant from the front of the engine. Looks to me it's probably the water pump and it probably needs to be replaced. Does this sound probable? I looked on the Garage section of Miata.net and found that replacing the pump also requires replacing the timing belt so, at 105K, I guess it's due to be done anyway. If all this makes sense, about how much can I expect to pay?

REALLY bad timing!

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Sounds like the water pump to me, and you are due, (or overdue, depending on who you ask), for a new timing belt anyway.

Prices from flyingmiata.com

Timing belt kit - $190.00. The kit includes the tensioner and idler pulleys, which I would replace at 105K miles, but you can save about $100.00 if your's look good and you want to keep using them. Some of these parts last incredibly long, but I would not expect another

100K miles out of them.

Water Pump - $65.95

Labor - call around, a good mechanic should be able to do it in a couple of hours. Some people have it done at club tech meetings, but that requires becoming a Miata club member. ;-)

So my cost would be $255.95 + shipping. If I had it done by my mechanic, it would be about $400.00 total. If you do not have a specific mechanic, you might look for a recommendation for one in your area, either on here and/or on a local discussion board.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Chuck

I think $400 to have it done is a little optimistic. My guess is more like $600. You will need new hoses and a thermostat also, and the cost of the new anti-freeze. And the hazardous waste fee, etc........

Reply to
lgadbois

A good mechanic should have all the tools and hopefully, but not always, a lift. Still, I do agree 3 or 4 hours might be a closer estimate.

I took somewhere around 6 hours, but I was moving slow, taking breaks, had no lift, and had never done it before. With a lift and not too many breaks, I can see doing it in half that time if I did it regularly.

I am sure that I am off on labor rates as well. I have only paid to have automotive work other than tires, alignment & bodywork maybe twice in the last 8 years. Both times were at a very low rate, ($25.00 or so per hour), though I am sure that we are even at best due to the computer tech help that I provide my mechanic. I borrow his tools far more often than I borrow his time, though I never take them with me.

He also towed the dead '91 Silverstone for $20.00 last week, which is a bit below average as well. That $20.00 probably didn't even cover the gas cost. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

True, I had not added up all the nickels and dimes....It seems like there is always one more thing to buy when doing these jobs. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I had the water pump and TB (and all the other belts ) done at about

60,000 on my 2000 and my local mechanic charged me $700 for everything.
Reply to
Scott Streeter