What decent computer scanner to buy?

My Mazda dealer wants something like 4130 to just hook up the OBDEC scanner to see why my check engine light is on!!

I've decided I can BUY a scanner just as cheap

The thing is... what reasonable priced consumer level scanner to buy? What brand and model?

Have 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Reply to
me

A ScanGauge

will do the job of reading/resetting codes although it is made to be more of a general-purpose tool. I do believe that there are cheaper units around and there are almost certainly cable adapter units that interface between the ODB2 port and a laptop computer running special software.

Reply to
John McGaw

Someone posted here previously that AutoZone will read the code for free.

Reply to
Brian

want to buy one anyway

Reply to
me

There are a lot more of these devices around than I ever imagined. For example, go to amazon.com and search for "automotive code reader" (without the quotes, of course) and you will see a wide assortment equipment and prices.

Reply to
John McGaw

87104022&sr=8-1 I'm going to get this one!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

well its gets good reviews at least

96 reviews on Amazon
Reply to
me

87104022&sr=8-1 >

I like it but I'd need one that will work for older vehicles also, unfortunately those cost a lot more..

Reply to
XS11E

I have that very model, also bought from Amazon. It's not a fancy model, but pays for itself the first time you use it. There are shops that don't charge you to hook the car up to their reader, but then they got you in the door, didn't they?

I diagnosed an O2 sensor error with the reader, then after replacing the O2 sensor, reset the Miata's computer (no need for the jumper trick) and am up and running. Highly recommended.

nrfong

I bought some $50 thing from Harbor Freight that has no buttons, just reads codes and does a reset after so many readings. This came in handy when I bought a 2000 Protege that others had passed over since it had the "check engine" light burning brightly. With the information from the reader, I was able to buy the car with a good understanding of what needed to be done to repair the fault. Worked like a charm!

Reply to
KWS

Do after market O2 sensors fit and work ok, or did you have to buy it from dealer?

Reply to
Don Moore