WHat do you think of this Miata Deal?

Hello all again, Ive been in and out of the group for the last 3 or 4 months, been looking for a Miata to replace the 91 I sold. Mentioned a few, they all turned out to be no go's (On value that is) but here is one that I am thinking of picking up next week. WOuld appreciate some input.

99 Miata, Green with Tan top. All leather. All power. Bose premium stereo Custom Rims 70,000 miles.

Two problems I found. The latch on the right side of the roof wont stay locked down, it seems to be worn, the owner says he is going to adjust the latch and replace the little thing the latch hooks on to monday.

The drivers side window switch is bad, also going to replace it monday.

The windshield is cracked. Really wouldnt matter for now but replacement will be $130.

The car has really good power, is in cosmetically excellent condition, shifts tight, has a good new looking spare, jack etc and new tires.

He's asking $5,700. I am paying cash so I think if I took $5,500 he would take it, his original asking price was $6,200. There is one across the street from it, no power, cloth interior and the guy is asking $7,400. So I am thinking $5,700 might be a good deal.

WOuld like some expert input.

Thanks J

Reply to
JeffinMS

Can't help there but it seems reasonable from looking at Cars.com's listing of other 1999 Miatas.

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks but I went over at 4:30 today to buy it cash in hand and it was sold. Third time I have done that. Miatas dont stick around long it seems.

Reply to
JeffinMS

You'll feel better when the buyer shows up here asking questions about all the things that are wrong with the car. ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Sorry you missed this one, the 99's can be great. When you find a miata at a really good price, you better be ready to jump on it, they won't hang around. When I bought mine, it was a brand new listing, I'd been watching every day. I went to look at it and when I got there the guy had already had a caller offer to but the car sight unseen (that's what he told me and he seemed like a straight shooter). Anyway, before you buy a 99~01 (IIRC) read up on the #4 thrust bearing failure issue. Somehow this had eluded me in my

7 or so years in the miata world (not sure how) and I about sh_ t my pants when I started reading about it. So far so good and I'm past 70k now.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

That is just plain evil....

Pat

Reply to
pws

But true. I've found over a long (and possibly evil?) life that deals that don't work out are very often deals that I'm later VERY glad didn't work out.

Of course I'm talking mostly about business deals but every time a deal starts hitting snags I've found that if I walk away rather than try to remove the snags, I'm VERY thankful later and if I work removing snags I'll regret it later. I'm not much of a believer in Karma or Fate or God or "your ism here" but I do know for sure that "some things are not meant to be" and forcing the issue is almost always a mistake.

The next Miata that comes along will be a better car or a better deal, count on it. I think the early buyer saved the OP from a mistake he'd regret later....

As always, YMMV

Reply to
XS11E

I think that we are in agreement here, and it isn't like he is going to have much trouble finding a good Miata. Mazda made lots of them. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hmmm. An 8 1/2 year old car. I'd keep looking.

Reply to
Rikoski

Agreed. 1.6 liter NAs were built only until through 1993 so any Miata worth having would be at least 14 years old.

DUCK! INCOMING!

Reply to
XS11E

Let me second Chris's experience. When my old utility-beater was just about to die, the wife and I started looking for either an MR2 or a Miata. Nobody would come down off their prices on MR2s, so we got an 03 Shinsen at wholesale price... way below market. Here we are three months later, and we just received a notice from our local Mazda dealer, wanting to buy the Miata from us at retail PLUS $1,500! It seems that Miata's are currently "a very high demand car."

It seems I could make a quick $4,000, but I'm kind of loathe to go through the car buying ordeal again.

Object being: if you can find one right now at a good price, grab it!

Reply to
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA,

Plus, that Shinsen's pretty sweet!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

True that. This one is like #714. After years of driving a high-torque BMW, though, I am having problems getting the RPM, clutch, accelerator bidniss worked out. Every once in a while, a good smooth shift, but, for the most part....

eh.

Reply to
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA,

You'll get it! Hey, you are using the upper rev range I hope! 5k to 7k is where the fun is ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

What was that, a K-series bike?

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Just for the heck of it, I'd find out what strings are attached by the dealer. The opportunity to actually make a profit from a car dealer is unusual and also hard to believe. Car Dealers make money, customers pay money. (Golden Car Dealer Rule!)

Reply to
Chuck

KBB lists this Miata Shinsen at $16,525.00 retail.

The seller is asking $13,900, and I would guess that there is still a little negotiating room in there.

There are a lot of used 1st & 2nd generation miatas for sale in this area, but that is still a huge price difference, especially if you tack $1500.00 on top of the retail.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Make that a little closer to $16,000 even retail, the exact mileage isn't listed, but it is described as low.

Pat

Reply to
pws

According to miata.net Shinsens were 6 speed with 6 CD changers.

That vehicle is a 5 speed, single CD. Could it possibly be an "Earl Schibe Shinsen"?

Reply to
XS11E

Missed that.

After seeing a person list their dark blue with black interior miata as a 10th anniversary edition, I think you may be right.

I have also seen a "'93LE" for sale with normal alloy rims and a black interior.

Pat

Reply to
pws