What mods needed for autocross/track days?

Hey everybody. So I've had a lot of fun driving CGGW ('04 Shinsen edition) on the street, but I would like at some point to start exploring its limits in a more controlled environment such as autocross or track days. This may not be until next spring, but I'm thinking ahead a little.

Some issue is the mods and attendant costs involved. I know I'll need a roll bar for the track at least. Don't know if it's required for autocross but maybe it's a good idea anyway? I've heard it's hard to roll the car in autocross, but it has been known to happen.

And then it looks at the moment like I may even need new seats, or at least one. I'd like to be wrong about this, but here's the deal: I'm not tall but have a longish torso and sit abnormally high, like almost as much on my upper thighs as my tuckus. So my head level might be somewhere around that of a typical 6-footer. Anyway, having seen pictures of Boss Frog and Hard Dog roll bars in Miatas, I would guesstimate that my bare head would be more or less on a level with the top of the bar, never mind where the top of my helmet would be. And I read that officially they want the top of your helmet to be 2" or so below the bar. I'm sure there are people out there in a similar situation; in fact, I've seen at least one picture of a guy with his helmet sticking out past the bar. But I don't know if they'll always let you get away with this, let alone if you'd want to. So that would seem to leave ripping out the seat cushion of my nice seat or buying at least one new lower one.

I may not want to try my hand at installing the roll bar myself, so that would be maybe a couple hundred more in shop costs. So whew, this might be over 1K in mods that, heh, I won't be seeing much of again if and when I resell.

I'm not against doing this (although if I ever want to trade in on a used Boxster, maybe now would be the time). I know once I'm set up, it's gonna be a blast. But I want to know how much I'm in for.

TIA & ZZ

Reply to
earache

..And so my point is, if I've sized up my situation right, and that's what I'm in for, then that's what I'm in for. But maybe there's some way to proceed that I'm not seeing.

Reply to
earache

(and in case anyone was wondering, CGGW is an '03 Shinsen, not '04. It's late)

Reply to
earache

Safety requirements may vary from one track to the next, so start by checking with the one(s) you plan to use. You will probably need an approved rollbar, an approved helmet, and identical restraints (seatbelts or harnesses) for both seats. Tech inspectors recognize that Miata street rollbars aren't high enough to pass SCCA regs, and typically waive the 2" rule as long as the top of your helmet isn't higher than the bar.

Otherwise, you'll want fresh brake fluid and pads, and tires with enough tread to get you through the session. When you register for a track day, you will usually receive a tech inspection form with a list of stuff to check before you arrive.

Leave your ego at home, and let your instructor help you learn. You'll have the time of your life!

For autocross, just make sure your car is in good shape. No special equipment required.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks Lanny. Who knows, when the time comes maybe getting the tallest roll bar I can find will be enough. And that's certainly something that figures to be well worthwhile in regular driving as well.

Come to think of it, why the heck isn't a roll bar a factory option? I mean, it makes too much sense not to offer it along with everything else you can get on an MX-5 these days.

Reply to
earache

They're all about the same height, to barely fit under the top.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

IMHO, you're better off to get your feet wet in autocross before you jump in the pool on a track. Autocross is very safe, not to brutal on your car and like Lanny said, really doesn't require that you spend money on upgrades. You'll find the car knows allot more than you do for awhile. Once you begin to get proficient at or near the handling limits on a low speed course, you may want to move up to a track but the likelihood of you doing damage to your car goes way up. Seen plenty of folks pull off track excursions with a little 'throttle lift oversteer'.

I think the the best handling upgrades for autocross are tires and sway bars. Watch the rules if you want to stay in a particular class. I've worried more about getting my car to handle like I want it to and just deal with whatever class that throws me into. However if you want to get serious about competing for 'class honors' you'll have to watch the rule book. It's more fun than you'll ever have on the street!

Plenty of info on this in the miata.net forums if you haven't been there, you'll find tons of info.

Have fun, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Still not sure what worries Mazda, that at the same time doesn't seem to stop the Boxster, BMW (I believe), and other convertibles from putting in some rollover protection. Could it be price point issues, and/or Miata-specific engineering issues, and/or creating a negative public perception of all the old roll bar-less Miatas.

Reply to
earache

Yep, autocross'll be my next step, Chris. Probably will wait till next spring since it looks like cold season doesn't have much going on in my area. Anyway, big fun and little commitment is always a win in my book.

Eric

Reply to
earache

Current Miatas have hoops comparable to the Boxster. Better than nothing, but neither will pass tech inspection at most race tracks.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

upgrades.

course, you

damage to

Oh, I don't know about that - I'd never done any autocross (and still haven't!) and so far I've done 2 track days a year for the past 4 years. Of course, having an instructor in the car with you on the first day teaches you a lot of respect for the course.

Oh yes, definitely have fun!

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Hum. I have been to only four track day events, (unless I forgot one), and in two of them there were people who did significant damage to their cars.

Of course, you now assume the reason is that they wanted to keep up with that blazingly-fast white Miata. But in those things the driver is more important than the car, and I was not to blame at all.

I have been to quite a lot auto-cross events, and had only one case of someone doing significant dame to his car, and that was by losing 4 wheels in the very first turn first. Mechanical failure was indicated as cause, since it is hard to control a car without wheels.

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, in the 4 years I've been going to this track event, we lost exactly 2 cars on the track - and that was the first year I was there. The (white!) Miata had some minor rear bumper damage from kissing the wall, but the Corvette went home on a flatbed.

Yes, there were some spin-outs but no other damage done - other than to some folks' egos, that is!

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Purrt

Leon, You were actually at the now infamous four-wheel-drift-right-off-the-car event? This is the red Mazda RX7, right? That was amazing. Sorry to see happen to such a nice car but obviously a proper lug issue, eh?

That was a shame.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Wrong thread lugs. They held more or less, but not to support a cornering car.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen