Wheel Alignment

Hi, I had changed the wheel for my 92 miata, but it seems like it's having some handling problem. So do i need to do something like wheel alignment?

and also I want to ask is it safe to cut my spring to lower my car?

Reply to
Socket Baby

Annual alignments are a good idea, regardless. The Miata responds very nicely to a precision alignment. Do it, but you might want to read my alignment page first (below).

How much do your new wheels weigh? Heavy wheels hurt handling; I wouldn't use a wheel that weighed over 13 pounds on a Miata, or 15 pounds at the most. OEM '92 alloys weigh about 12 pounds.

Dunno if it's safe, but it's a bad idea, since you'll have little control over the new spring rate. Too soft, and you'll be bottoming constantly; too hard, and your handling will go away on rough roads.

The stock Miata suspension has barely enough wheel travel to cope with ordinary driving, about 1.5 inches before bumpstop contact. If you drop the car an inch, you'll lose 2/3 of that travel, so you'll need much stiffer springs to stay off the bumpstops. Any time you stiffen springs, you also need to upgrade the shocks, or you'll bounce all over the road like riceboys in slammed Civics.

Why do you want to lower your car? Yeah, it looks cool, but it's very easy to ruin the ride and handling, not to mention scraping on driveways and speedbumps. Miatas are already very low, especially early models. Lower than stock is only beneficial for track-only cars with very stiff suspensions.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers