wheel balance question

I noticed that I do not have a wheel weight on one of my front wheels while I was washing the car, yet there has been no shimmy or other indication that anything is wrong. I made sure that the weight wasn't placed on the inside, and there was no weight there either. So the question is, does a tire ever balance without needing a weight, just by pure luck? It seems like I would notice a problem if the balance was off, seeing how sensitive the miata is to a bad wheel balance. I am going to take the wheel in anyway, but I am more curious than anything else, and I don't like to ask technical questions at the tire shop.

Thanks,

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Yes.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

the better the wheels and the better the tires, the more likely true balance w/o weights.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

This is just a Yoko EVS-100 on a 2001 rim, the pair must have good specs, there are weights on the other three wheels. What I am wondering is, if the tire and wheel manufacturers can get it right one time, why can't that be standard? I don't know a lot about tire making, but it seems like it would be possible to produce both wheels and tires consistently with no heavy spots (especially when both are brand new). I am guessing that it is a cost issue.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

It's also possible that both your wheel and tire have imperfections that perfectly cancel, regardless of process control.

How do you like those ES100s? I put a set on my '02 SE and they're certainly noisy, especially in turns. They seem to perform quite well, though. I've only driven in the dry with them.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I highly recommend the Yokohama ES100s, though I agree that they are a bit noisy. They do perform well in the dry, but they are also a very nice rain tire, as I found out after it rained during most of June here. I really liked the price as well.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Say Pat, After all this, if you still want some "wheel weights", I can send you some. :-) I have a large box of them and you can just go put some on that wheel so that it will bounce., You can take them off and you will know that it didn't need them and feel a lot better about it. :-) :-) (just in fun)

Bruce RED '91 ( I have spent hours with a wheel balancing machine to try to get to "zero" !! What a job!!!!! ) (No mater how many wheels and tires I tried to use, the "darn" machine still weighs too much !!!! :-)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

The ES100s really do seem to offer not only excellent bang:buck but very good performance regardless of price. The noise isn't normally an issue since I drive top-down almost all of the time.

It probably won't rain until November here...

So - what tire pressure are you running in yours? I'm at

30psi-ish right now and that seems to be about right, but I haven't experimented much yet.

Cheers, Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

This would not be the first time that I tracked down a non-existant car problem and made things worse by "fixing" it. ;-)

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Pat,

You mean, "if it ain't broke, we can fix it" ?? :-) Yah, I can identify with that! :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Yep, I agree. If the Toyo T1s and the Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s were the same price as the Yokohama AVS ES100s, I would still have a tough time deciding which set would go on there. I almost ordered the Toyos for $59.00 on sale last time, but the sale ended and I got the Yokohama AVS ES100s for $53.00 each, iirc. I have driven on the Toyos and like them a lot, but not any more than the ES100's. I have never tried the Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s, I burn tires up too fast to pay $100.00+ per corner before mounting and balancing, though tire rack does have a special on them right now for $87.00. This is for the

195/50/15, I assume that your tires cost a bit more being 16 inches rather than 15.

The noise isn't

I drive about half and half top up and down, but my miata is my only vehicle. Your (newer) car is going to be quieter inside than mine is, allowing you to hear the tires better with the top up. I mostly hear wind noise and exhaust.

I set them all on 29 psi last night. I have tried from 27 to 32 and I agree that about 30 feels best. We are agreeing on too many things here, somethng must be wrong. :-)

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Why do you say that?

Cheers, Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I am just messing with you, but if we agree on too many things then it leaves no room for "spirited debates". ;-)

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

then it

Well, then, you'll just have to settle for "spirited drives" instead! ;-D

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

I'm sure we'll find some fuel soon enough for a spirited debate or two - not to worry ;-)

Had a nice drive today, out to the "coast" at Point Reyes Station and then up to McClure Beach. My wife was along and traffic and speed limits combined to keep the pace fairly sedate, but it was still a superb ride. Gotta love driving into fog from 80F+, then watching the fog recede...

Heck, I've still got an hour left to do some local wine tasting maybe... I *love* California ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Point Reyes is one of my favorite places in California. My wife and I went there as an extension of our honeymoon. We live in the San Diego area but I REALLY want to get up to the Pt. Reyes area in my '97 some time soon. Spectacular and awesome roads for a Miata.

Yeah. I *love* California too.

Reply to
Dave Smith

It's just amazing how much variety there is in that area. Rolling grasslands, elevation changes, dense forests, you name it.

I'm just glad I can afford to live here ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Leave well enough alone !!!!!!