Wheels: Restore or Replace?

My 1991 Miata has the Mazda Aluminum Alloy wheels in 14" size. I am thinking about refinishing them for around $150 a wheel at a specialty shop that will also straighten them if needed. I don't know what these wheels originally cost because I got them as a package deal.

Alternatively, I can buy new wheels, which opens up the possibility of wider tires than the 185/60-14 which I currently use.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Pat

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:00:00 GMT, "Pat" wrote in news:Asrrc.355$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

You'll probably pay quite a bit for a new wheel which is as light.

You may be able to find someone to sandblast them for quite a bit less. I did mine myself and repainted them a few years ago and they look great.

Unless you know they're bent, why pay more?

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

That sounds like a ridiculous amount to pay. A friend of mine smashed his Vette polished mag into a curb (accident avoidance manuever) and got it fixed (like new) for like $108. I was shocked but this included them adding magnesium, machining it and even re-powdercoating it!.

You can buy a nice set used on miata.net for probably between $150 and $250.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You might want to check these out. A set listed as "near perfect", with only 20K miles on them on miata net for $195.00 obo plus shipping. These are not mine, I just noticed the ad.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws