Where's the rub?

I have a brake related rubbing sound coming from my rear driver side wheel. It changes with speed and can be suppressed by pulling on the emergency brake so it is definitely is coming from the rear. I had thought I my two year / 15k mile rotor might have become warped so I installed new rear rotors and pads, yet the sound persists. What else should I look for and how do i test it. I am thinking perhaps the hub. I had the wheel bearings replaced a few years ago as preventative maintenance at 110k (now have

130k). Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply to
Christopher Muto

ps. caliper pins (upper and lower) were cleaned, looked fine, and were lubed with high temperature grease before reassembly... so i don't think that is the problem.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Regardless, they'd be the second thing I'd check. Right after the handbrake hardware.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the e-brake completely relaxed (adjustment screw out at the brake handle) when replacing the caliper on the other side of the car, and even with the wheel off and two lug nuts installed i could feel the caliper grabbing no matter how far the hex screw was retracted. I suppose to really know if it is the e-brake is to remove the cable from the caliper, which i could try the next time i am in there, but i went ahead and ordered new upper and lower pins. Will report back once they are installed. Thanks again. ps. for what it is worth, the car in question is a '95

Reply to
Christopher Muto

My '92 has a manual adjustment, according to this article

you should also. Easy fix if that's the problem Ephar & Bambi

Reply to
Ephar

Thanks for that, but I am aware of it. This is what I was trying to articulate by referring to the hex screw adjustment. Even with the wheel off, the e-brake relaxed, and two lug nuts holding down the rotor, when I manually turned the rotor i get the wub wub from the caliper grabbing part of the rotor. It is a new rotor (and pads) and it doesn't appear that the rotor is warped... so I await the new pins to see if that helps... and fully check the e-brake cable while in there. If that doesn't help then I suppose a new caliper bracket is in order next?!? Thank you.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Try swapping the left-right rotors and see if the problem migrates to the other side. If it does, your rotor is warped, new or not. If it doesn't, then maybe you should investigate the bearing/hub?

Reply to
Dale Beckett

no matter what i did i could not get the rubbing to stop. i was able to see about 1/16" run out in the rotor when i spun the wheel so it seemed like it is probably a bent hub. brought it to a trusted shop who first checked the rotor, then the hub and they did find some runout in the hub so i will have that and the wheel baring replaced. thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Chris,

did you ever fix this? I might have a hub in good shape, need to make sure everything is compatible. If it works for you, it's free, I just need to remove it from the car and get it from Texas to New York.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, Thank you very much for the offer. It is most kind of you. However, considering the labor and other costs involved (alignment) I think it would be money well spent for me to just get a new one. Will write more to you directly. Thanks again!

Reply to
Christopher Muto