Which wax to use?

I own a 2002 Mazda Millenia. I have always been one to take care of my cars. What waxes do you recommend. Meguiars Gold class? Zymol Cleaner Wax? Just out of curiosity - I know that Meguiars is an American company. Is Zymol? Somewhere I read that it is a german formula?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Reply to
Randy & Michelle

It's clearcoated, isn't it? If so, protection is probably more important than bringing out the color, which you can't treat beneath the clearcoat anyway.

On my red Miata (no clearcoat), I like Meguiar's professional-grade Mirror Glaze products: #9 swirl remover followed by #26 liquid yellow wax. If I were pickier about tiny scratches, I'd use the #2 fine-cut cleaner and #7 show car glaze (polish) instead of the swirl remover, but that would mean three passes instead of two, and I'd need to buy--and learn to use--a rotary buffer. As it is, the finish of my 9 year old paint is like cherry hard candy, with breathtaking depth. Longevity of the shine depends on how often the car is washed, but I normally do it twice a year.

In the past, I've used the #6 cleaner wax. It did a good job, but didn't come close to the depth of shine of the separate products, nor last as long.

All the good stuff in the Meguiar's numbered system comes in tan bottles. You probably won't find it at Wal-Mart or AutoZone, but my local Car Quest parts store carries the whole line, and cheaper than ordering online from meguiars.com.

Zymol pro-grade products are about twice as much work to use as Meguiar's, cost more, and don't last very long. Excellent short-term results, though. The consumer-grade Zymol products at Wal-Mart are reportedly not the same thing--more like generic Turtle Wax.

For sheer longevity of protection on clearcoat, it's hard to beat Rain Dance. You won't get that bottomless shine, though.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, Lanny. It seems somewhat hard to believe that a car that is washed twice a year, normally, would have cherry hard candy paint. (Good grace!)

Not that I do not believe you, of course, ..., but, don't you have any insects down there in the Mid West??

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Arrgh! I meant I *wax* the car twice a year. I wash it when it gets too dirty, maybe once a month on average. The car is garaged, and almost never driven in the rain.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've tried a ton of waxes and have finally settled on some stuff called Formula 113. It's made by some guy in his garage but it's really good. Looks as good as Zymol with a lot less work. Cheaper and lasts longer too. Another thing I really like is that there's no power residue. You can order some from

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with this company at all. Just a satisfied customer.

Just my 2 cents....

Reply to
Ace Swerling