XM Radio installation

I have a 2006 MX-5. The manual for the XM radio recommends installing the antenna in the trunk. Does anyone have experience doing this who can give me advice on how to perform the installation?

TIA- jersey

Reply to
jersey

On an NB, we put the antenna between the trunk lid and the back edge of the top. The small cable can go over or under the trunk lid weather seal. The cable then was placed in the left "tunnel" and routed along the passenger side under the carpet. An antenna adapter was placed under the dash between the standard antenna lead and the radio antenna jack. Finally the power and antenna cable were routed as needed to the XM adapter, which was mounted in the drivers side air vent ball. XM adapter power can be connected at the fuse panel or at the rear of the lighter socket, Whatever is easier. Some of the auto parts stores sell a cute little adapter that plugs into a fuse socket in the fuse panel, and has two fuse sockets and pigtail.

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
M. Cantera

Since the Miata trunk lid is fiberglass and the RF waves will penetrate it to the antenna, I mounted my Sirius antenna to the bottom side of the trunk lid.

I put a glob of clear RTV (you could use any color, but I had clear) on to the TOP of the antenna and stuck it to the underside of the trunk lid and held it in place with duct tape until the RTV dried (12-24 hours).

I then routed the cable through where the trunk unlatch cable is routed and under the doorsill to the dash. BE CAREFUL not to crush or cut the antenna cable as it not just a piece of wire, but a precision shielded co-axial cable. It cannot be cut and spliced without special equipment.

I stuck the TOP of the antenna to the trunk lid because the bottom of the antenna has a metal plate and a magnet (for sticking to a car roof) which might have impeded the antenna from "seeing" the satellites.

It has been stuck there and working great for over 6 months. That's as long as I have had the car.

Tim

Reply to
Healeyman