2004 Mazda3 dome lights cycle with doors shut

Every once in a while, I'll go out in the garage at night and I'll notice that my 2004 Mazda3's interior lights are on. At first, I thought that a door must be slightly ajar so it was holding a switch half way or something like that but that's not the case. The lights will stay on for a while (2-3 minutes perhaps), then dim and go out for a while. Then they'll come back on. The cycle stops after a few repetitions. If I open/close a door, the cycle stops.

Quite a bit of time will go by between times I notice this. I first saw it either late last year or early this year. I bought the car new in Jan 2004. The dealer has never heard of this and could not find any service bulletins about it either. Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Sounds like the switch in the door jamb is slightly misadjusted, or has some kind of dirt/debris that is making a short circuit and re-closing the door is reseating the switch.

Reply to
Noozer

it is a problem others have been having you dont know which door it is until the dealer hooks it up to the computer and monitors the actions of the door switches.

Reply to
alex

Thanks for your notes.

Can you tell me where you've seen complaints of similar problems? The local dealer is clueless so far.

Reply to
Stephen

im a tech at a dealer and i have ran into situations like this they need to basically hook it up and monitor the switches as they open and close when all 4 doors are closed and the light ramains on you can view the computer and it will tell you which switch is open and therefore which one to replace.

Reply to
alex