626 5 Speed problems

Can anyone offer any help for my 1993 Mazda 626's 5-speed transmission? When we install the transmission in reverse (per instructions) reverse works but it it hard to remove from reverse. Once it is removed from reverse, all 5 gears work fine, but it will not go back into reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Reply to
Dogwood Appraisals

; gears work fine, but it will not go back into reverse. Any help would be ; greatly appreciated.

Are you, by chance, testing this by going 1-2-3-4-5-R? If so, there probably is a lockout to prevent going from 5 to R as you search for a non-existent 6th gear (be a real bummer to be doing 70 mph down the highway and through it into reverse). Bring it back to center/neutral before going into reverse.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Yeah, it won't go into reverse from neutral once it is removed from reverse.

Reply to
Dogwood Appraisals

Did you by any chance remove the Reverse sensor, it is on the front bottom of the transmition and has a wire going to it.. when i changed my clutch i forgot to put in a washer there and it was not letting me get into reverse because of that..

Reply to
Jonathon