"89 626 heater control valve

Does anybod know how to get to the heater control valve? I assume it's vacuum control and somewhere in the center console. I got as far as getting the face off and that was it, stuck. TIA Bob Hickey

Reply to
Bob Hickey

An '89? I was trying to replace the bulb in my HC panel and couldn't get the damn thing out of the dash, because of the cables!

Unfortunately, the manual I have does not go into any detail as to how the valve works at all! And, it's dark and raining right now, so I can't look. I believe the valve is at the back of the engine, and not mounted to the firewall as usual...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know much about your '89 626 specifically, but most newer cars (including my '90 Miata) do not have heater control valves. Perhaps it was a cost savings ploy or a means of increasing overall reliability, but they have now gone the way of the dodo. What happens is that coolant flows continuously in the heater core and the proportion of heat that actually gets into the cabin is controlled by opening and closing flaps.

Perhaps someone else can confirm my suspicion about your 626.

Ken

Bob Hickey wrote:

Reply to
KWS

Interesting...this would seem to make sense, since there doesn't seem to be a valve on my '89, and the Haynes I have for it mentions nothing of a valve at all.

All there are are two hoses coneecting to tubes to either the head or the block..I haven't been able to track them down yet.

Reply to
Hachiroku