Difference in models?

Hi, my son wrecked (totaled) our 1999 626, it has the 2.0 and 5 speed, engine and tranny are great - I see a lot of 626s with bad autos, any reason I couldn't swap the standard into an automatic body? Will I run into wiring / computer issues? And will the five speed from the 1999 bolt into a 1996 or 1997? Thanks for any help here, Tookie Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

As far as bolting into other model years, I don't know. And, I am not anywhere near as familiar with Mazdas as Toyotas, but here's some things to look for...

Around '95 Toyota changed the way they made cars, I don't know about Mazda. But for Toyotas, models designated as AT lost the mount points for the pedals, wiring for the clutch and the pass-through in the firewall for the clutch cylinder. These are the minimums. You also want to check into mounting brackets; a lot of time they are differrent for the different trannies.

I have an '88 Supra I want to turn into a 5-speed, but after looking into it, I need pedals, a half shaft, tranny and cylinders for the master and slave. If you HAVE all this stuff, then you're ahead of the game! If it is still possible, look at the things I mentioned on your old car, and then check a body with the AT.

The switch will be fairly easy once you get your ducks in a row. Wish I could give you better advice...

Good Luck! Just for curiosity, let me know what you find.

Reply to
Hachiroku