intermittent whine from brakes

2001 Tribute V6 has good brake pads and disks but from time to time, a low-volume, high-pitch whine can be heard, that appears to come from the front of the vehicle. When I just tap the brake pedal the whine stops but comes back some seconds later. This goes on very intermittently. The first time it happened for about a week. The second, about a month later, lasted only a day or two. Recently it happened and it lasted only one day (getting better?!?!?!). A service manager says he knows of another Tribute with exactly the same symptoms. But cannot find the answer. A $600 brake job did not fix the problem. Any ideas? Alan Andrew Frustrated in Vancouver, BC
Reply to
Alan Andrew

It is alleged that Alan Andrew claimed:

Cold up there in Vancouver?

My '03 6 is doing something similar, and it seems to be related to the outside temperature. My guess is that the brake cylinders aren't retracting fully when I release the parking brake when it's that cold.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

It's likely plain old disc brake squealing. If nothing is leaking, the car stops OK and the pads are not wearing funny, you are probably better off ignoring it.

Ken

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

Reply to
KWS