Mazda5 towing question

I am considering a Mazda5 which I would want to use to tow a small pop up camper which weighs less than 1000 pounds. Mazda USA does not recommend towing. I contacted Mazda by e-mail and received a reply which said, in part "the Mazda5 is not designed for towing."

It turns our that the same car sold in Europe is rated to tow 600kg without trailer brakes, and more than that with brakes. The 600kg rating is for UK versions with two gas and two diesel engines, all smaller than the one engine available in the US. What gives here? I'm pretty sure it's the same vehicle except for lighting differences, different engines used in Europe to get better fuel economy, and that the UK version is right hand drive, etc.

Does anyone know if it would void the warranty if I bought a Mazda5 and towed with it, even though Mazda USA says not to?

TIA for any info on this.

Reply to
Kokomo Kid