Mazdaspeed6

The new autoweek has the Mazdaspeed 6. They say it 400 lbs more then the stock Mazda 6 and the factory say 0-60mph in 6.6 sec. I hope thats wrong, because that's prety slow for 274 hp.

Reply to
Bryan Lee

Begin Bryan Lee quote:

; The new autoweek has the Mazdaspeed 6. They say it 400 lbs more then the ; stock Mazda 6 and the factory say 0-60mph in 6.6 sec. I hope thats wrong, ; because that's prety slow for 274 hp.

Well, if it's heavier, then it needs some extra horsepower just to break even on acceleration. Plus, where is that peak horsepower made? Is it down low, below 3K RPM, or up high, above 4K like my '03 6s SportAT? Plus, where does the torque curve start to kick in? Down low, you need torque to get going, not hp.

My 6s likes to cruise below 2K in the city, but has anemic torque below

2500.
Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Reply to
Bryan Lee

Begin Bryan Lee quote:

; it has 280 lbs-ft of torque and autoweek says the torque band it pretty flat ; from 2000rpms to 6000 rpms. Thats alot of torque for a 2.3l four. Also it ; has a 9.5 to 1 compression so it help the low end torque.

Ok, then where does the HP curve really start to kick in? Mine is somewhat high. Makes for good passing speeds, but bad for quick starts.

I actually used to like this setup, because it made the car more civilized in the city, but still responsive on the open road. Then I moved out to the boonies, and the highway onramps here are too short.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Remember Auto Week looked at the car with all the Bells & Whistles. For about 33k fully loaded it is best deal you can get AWD, 6 speed but not too happy about being 4 bang w/ Turbo and no hatchback (seats do not fold down), keep in mind the engine will be hotter in temp so the engine will be heavier and stiffing for the torque and rear handling.

Reply to
Enterprise

Reply to
Bryan Lee

I am personally waiting for 2007 before I buy the speed6 giving the auto manufacture 2 years to work out the bugs / kinks and before they change body styles. I looked at the Subaru WRX STI ugly, not as many options, don't offer color red but if you have the need for speed I would go for the Subaru for styling in a good price range the Mazda, money no object the InfinityG35x AWD or Volvo.

Reply to
Enterprise

Slow? The Porsche Boxter ($54,000) does 0-60 in 6.8 sec.

Reply to
BBB