MX-3 Brake Pads

Hello,

I am replacing the front brake pads on my MX-3.

As per my Hayes manual, I disassemble the brakes and open the fluid reservoir and then push the piston(?) into the housing using a clamp.

Once all that is done, I try to put on the pads, but they have too much material on the actual pad. They have a little over 1/8" too much pad on each to fit.

Am I crazy? Or do I just have the wrong brake pads? The folks at Pep Boys (over the phone) compared 3 sets of pads for the mx-3 and said they all appear to have the same amount of pad.

I checked my rotors, and they have 11mm stamped on the inside.

What am I missing?

Thanks! Jey

Reply to
Jey Gifford

Jey Gifford

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the info. it was a lot easier opening that bleeder screw! WOW!

NOW there's one more issue:

There are two bolts that hold the caliper assembly on. Now that the piston is all the way back and I have put the pads on, the caliper won't fit over the bolt holes to bolt it back on.

The bolts slide through a metal shaft that has boots on either side of it. I have tried sliding the shafts, but that does not work.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks aga> >

Reply to
Jey Gifford

Ya, I thought that one up after banging on my Suzuki LJ80's brakes for far to long.... Use lots of never-seize. The bold should slide freely inside that shaft, and if I remember right, that little metal shaft should also slide freely in it's hole in the calaper. The little boots are just protectors/holders for that area, as the calaper neededs to "float" around in there, and self center it's self on the disk. When you tighten the bolt, you tighten the calaper against those little shafts, and then the calaper has the room to float around a little bit. That gives you the braking power on both sides of the roter, and lets both brake pads get used.... if one was thinner then the other, those could have been stuck for a little while....

~Brian

Reply to
<not

You didn't bleed them all and you still have some air in the system. Make sure that when you are bleeding them you keep the brake fluid topped up, if it runs low and you suck in some air, you start all over again..... To start, bleed the furthest one, then the next furthest one, and so forth.

~Brian

Reply to
<not