pipes

I have a 1993 mazda truck b2200. The muffler was making a noise, and I took it to my local muffler shop. The muffler was under warranty, however they replaced an extension pipe that cost $56.00 and a prebent pipe that cost $35.00. I just couldn`t believe that pipes could cost that much, and then there was 1/2 hour labor on top of that. Has anyone had these pipes replaced, and what did you pay? Thanks. Patt.

Reply to
Patt

I also own a B2200 and just replaced the pipe between the exhaust manifold catalytic converter and the rear cat. The new formed pipe, an adaptor pipe so that the $300 original Mazda pipe ahead of it could be re-used, an exhaust clamp and 2 gaskets cost me $85. I installed it myself as I'm a mechanic.

Most repair shops charge upwards of $75/hr with a usual minimum charge of

1/2 hour. It costs a lot of money in overhead to operate a repair facility and they are not in business for the purpose of doing you a favor. If that was their mode of operation they would not be in business for long. If one ever does do you a favor consider it a blessing and keep going back.

In case you ever wonder about greedy mechanics, most have to provide their own tools even if they work for someone else. A basic set of tools for most mechanics cost about $15,000 and we do not even get to claim them on our taxes as an employment expense unless we are self employed. My personal tool investment is approx $30,000. To set up an entire garage costs several hundreds of thousands of dollars with a monthly overhead in the tens of thousands.

I hope that puts things in perspective for you. Lugnut

Reply to
torque wrench

Since you had the muffler replaced under warranty, you had no choice but to do the other pipes then and there. Isn't the B2200 just a restyled Ford Ranger? Have you called a Ford dealer to see what Ford prices are like?

Reply to
First of One

The new style B-series are the Ford take offs..... the B2200 & B2600 are pre-Ford trucks... Most Mazda dealers can get a "second line" exhaust made by Bosal ... sometimes it is cheaper than jobber parts ..

"First of One" wrote in message news:2TEpb.10919$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... Since you had the muffler replaced under warranty, you had no choice but to do the other pipes then and there. Isn't the B2200 just a restyled Ford Ranger? Have you called a Ford dealer to see what Ford prices are like?

Reply to
dooker