Complicated Auto Sale Please Help

I have a situation that I wanted some feedback on. I sold a 300TE Wagon this morning to someone who claimed that he was buying the car for his mother. I talked to the "mother' and got her address, phone, drivers license number etc. He signed her name to the pink slip, handed me cash, and took the pink slip and the car. She told me that he had permission to sign her name. I had no idea that this constituted forgery, but I understand now. Although if he actually gives the pink slip to her and se signs over his signature that problem is remidied. To complicate matters futher, she has an out of state drivers license in Arizona. His drivers license is in california but it is expired. He refused to give me his drivers license number. He insisted that the sale go directly to her. He was referred by someone who is reputable. But the whole thing is fishy and I am sorry that I went for it. It might be innocent but I am wondering what the DMV in California will do when I send in a change of ownership to someone who is not registered or does not have a license in California, but apparently lives in California. What can I do to make sure that my title gets cleared so that I am no longer liable for this car? I feel foolish but my willingness to go along with this was based on the referral from the person I know who is reputable as far as I have always known. What am I liable for? What should I do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Michael Roback

California likes to collect sales tax on each transfer of ownership. If you turn in the buyers name he will be liable for sales tax on the vehicle upon registration and if he transfers it to his mother they will pay sales tax again unless the state she lives in has the option of transferring taxfree between members of the same family. Neither case does not present a problem for you as long as you turn in a valid name and address, but do it right away..

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Just make sure you send in the change of ownership certificate to the DMV with the date you sold the car and you're clear. As a matter of interest you don't have to be a licensed driver to own a car. You just can't legally drive without one.

Reply to
Ernesto