Failed instrument cluster

The instrument cluster on my wife's 1997 MB C280 has failed. The dealer wants about $1000 to replace it. I have found a couple of places that claim to be able to repair it and a couple of places that appear to have replacements (used but guaranteed).

However, I have been told by my local garage mechanic (who would likely do the removal/replacement work) that the new/repaired cluster must be "reprogrammed" by the dealer and that could be almost as costly as having them replace it.

Can anyone provide me the correct information on this issue, please.

Reply to
rascal

If you can't trust the advice from your "local garage mechanic" it's time to find somebody you CAN trust. Meanwhile, I suppose you COULD ask the dealer, but since you prefer to deal with a local guy you don't trust, I suppose there is faint hope that you'd believe anything that the dealer's factory-trained technicians had to say on the matter. Sheesh!

Reply to
Rob

Idiot. Of course, I do trust my local garage mechanic and, of course, I don't trust the local MB dealer. I just want clarification on what is involved in reprogramming the unit (which the local mechanic can not do) so I can figure out how to best proceed. Thanks for all the help.

BTW the local dealer charges $200 just to tell the customer what is wrong with their car. They will not tell me what is involved in reprogramming the unit, how much they would charge or if they would do the reprogramming without doing the replacement work. Typical for a MB dealer.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" Newsgroups: alt.autos.mercedes Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:16 AM Subject: Re: Failed instrument cluster

Reply to
rascal

The instrument panel of my SL 320 went South recently, dealer replacement cost was just over $2000, complete, which I assume included reprogramming to factory specs.

Today I visited the West Coast factory authorized Ferrari - Maserati service center, which incidentally is basically a MB restorer/service shop. They informed me that instrument panel failure was not completely uncommon, and they handle it by scavenging parts from broken panels and combining them into a functioning unit, installed and guaranteed, for $650.

I expect re-programming is not much more complicated than re-setting the radio after repair, which a mechanic did for me in a one minute operation by the tech. How it's done I haven't a clue but I don't believe it takes esoteric knowledge.

Canoli

Reply to
canoli