In General, how dependable is a used Mercedes?

In General, how dependable is a used Mercedes?

I have always wanted a Mercedes, just thought of them as dependable nice looking vehicles yet not too flashy (base C280 type models from mid 90s is what I have in mind), but as I look at those cars in that range on autotrader and such, I find most have about 100,000 + miles on them and I wanted to ask in general how dependable are they after

100,000 miles, or is that why everyone is selling them (cuz they know after 100K things start falling apart?)

I know my Pontiac Sunbird and my Chevy Impala both had major issues in their life once they hit

100,00 to 120,000 miles aprox... Just wondering if a Mercedes (in general) will last longer and or be dependable moreso than the Chevy or Pontiac I had...

This would not be a primary car purchase yet I would like to know aprox how long I can guestimate it will last miles wise, I know if it was taken care of by the previous owner(s) it may last another 10 years, & by the same token if it was beaten and abused it may die tomorrow, but in general if I go find one that feels good looks good and drives good, and it has 100,000 miles on it, can I expect major issues anytime soon or will these things typically roll past 200,000 - 300,000 with proper upkeep & maintenance... (without an engine and trans overhaul NEITHER my Chevy or Pontiac could pass 120,000 miles even WITH regular maintenance and care given to them)...

Any input appreciated, still thinking hard about purchasing a mid 90's C280 yet again most have aprox 100,000 on them (and that's ok if they generally don't fall apart like my experiences with Chevy and Pontiac have been).

Bill

Reply to
Me

aparikh