'00 E-320 Parking Lamp Bulb Replacement Question

'00 E-320. Passenger-side parking lamp bulb out. I've taken off the circular cover and tried to get a look at the actual bulb attachment socket, but even a mirror and penlight don't tell me what I need to do. I've gently twisted the area beneath the electrical contact, but it doesn't budge. I've tried gentle pressure pulling it out, but still no luck. I cannot see any clips, or springs holding the bulb into the light fixture and there is nothing in either manual (operator manuals, NOT service manuals). Does anybody know how these bulbs attach to the fixture? I don't want to go pulling on something and break it all to pieces, especially since this is my wife's car and she would be NONE too happy. Any expert advice would be appreciated. I'd like for her to think I can at least change a light bulb, without having to resort to the dealership.

TIA Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

OK, I've got the answer, though the service writers a MB agency didn't know how to do it. Am I really surprised?

Anyway, the socket does rotate to lock/unlock - I just had not applied enough pressure, not wanting to end up with a broken fixture and a handfull of wires. Gentle forward pressure, and a firm rotation of the lamp mount is all that it took. Too bad that MB didn't put about 2cm more wire, as replacing the bulb above the air-intake would have been much easier. As it is, one must either remove the air-filter housing and intake, or make do in about 1cm of space. Regardless, the bulb is changed and my wife's instrument cluster warning no longer sites: "Fault - lamp bad... "

Hunt

Reply to
Hunt