02 C240 rear defroster

Hi there,
With snow storm in toronto area, snow stayed on the rear windshield although I had the rear defroster on all the time. I drove about 50km, it took me close to 2 hours and the snow did not melt.
I called MB dealer and he said that its not defroster but defogger. It does not heat the windshield and thats why snow stayed there. Is he right? If this is the case then how do I get rid of the snow and see behind?
Please advise.
Thank you.

Get out and scrape it off?
Agreed... you need a scraper to remove hard ice or snow from windshield or rear glass... even side windows. To make this easier, heating up the windshield and rear window slightly helps
If all fails, then you need the deicer that is sold in spray can... That will remove all ice and fast... then use scraper to get the rest off.
Look in your owners manual. It is a defogger!