10,000 miles between oil change?

I bought a 99 320e and the owners manual recommends 10000 miles between oil changes. The dealer told me to use synthetic Castrol 5w 30. Live in cold climate. Synthetic or not,that seems awfully long to go between oil changes.

Reply to
1 1

I believe your model has a service indicator - computer assesses your use, driving number of starts etc and gives a message when a change is due. For that longer interval M-B requires synthetic oil.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

apart from beeing a mechanical engineer....i'd say...you can...but i wouldn't

emission on your 12 year old diesel is far different from modern i.e. cdi`s...common rail turbo injektion engines so there is much more carbondioxide and soot polluting your engine oil... if your diesel is used to mineral/fossil oil...leave it there and change oil every 5k mi... otherwise you may have it leaking from every crack just my 2 cents, alex

"Dimi" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c1l2jm$1j7tm2$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-184923.news.uni-berl> > For that longer interval M-B requires synthetic oil.

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

229.1 is all that is needed for up to 15000 miles. No, an older engine needs services more often than the new ones irrespective of a better oil. However, you may still be safe at 50% longer than normal service recommendation, but will you check to be sure by analysing your oil in good time? No one else will commit to an assurance for you so you must make your own risk assessment

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Is the oil reasonably clean and wipes cleanly off your fingers at

6000miles? Or is it jet black and leaves a black residue which is difficult to rub off your fingers? If the former and you use a mb228.3 oil, then 10,000 miles may be good. If the oil is still reasonably opaque and a synthetic 228.5 oil is used, then 12000 miles or more may be achievable with no adverse effect. My personal view is that since 228.3 Super High Performance Diesel oil is now mainstream and commands little premium price, then I use this as a minimum on well run-in diesel engines due to its superior contamination handling capacity.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I wonder if one uses the same, high quality synthetic oil (it is a 5W30 oil that fulfill MB 229.5 standard I believe) on engine that originally is not with extended oil service intervals, could take the advantage of the extended drain intervals too? In other words, if use a MB 229.5 oil (MB Longlife Service Oils) in my

12-years old diesel may I run it longer (let say 50% longer) between the oil changes?
Reply to
Dimi

This particular engine is used to synthetic oil 0W40 grade and has neither oil leeks nor high oil consumption yet.

Manufacturer recommends changing the oil every ~6K mi. (10K km) with 10W40 grade oil, which is mineral or semi-synthetic. I just believe that modern high-tech oil will last longer.

However, I have to agree with you, that the soot and other emissions and thus the oil contamination should be higher in my old diesel burner than in a new CDI engine.

Nevertheless, one would not call my car a black smoker or something. The tailpipe emissions are nearly invisible even under acceleration. :-)

Alex Hemmerich wrote:

Reply to
Dimi

As far as 30,000 miles on truck engines, this is correct, however keep in mind that the truck engine (depending on the engine) will hold 40 qts or more and the oil filter is about 8 in in diameter and 24 inches long.(I may be off a little on the size of the filter, but it is BIG compaired to a car filter). I use rotella 15-40 which is a truck oil in my 84 500SEL and change every 3000 miles. If I drove mostly on Interstates as the trucks do, I may go up to 6000 miles, but I don't. I would say, look in the owners manual and do what it says, using the correct weight oil, and change as recommented keeping in mind that normal service is driving on the open road most of the time, and severe service is driving in heavy traffic most of the time. I believe the best recommendation is to do as someone else has said "Change it hot and often" That is the best advice. Trying to extend the change interval on oil changes falls in the class "pay me now, or pay be more latter" Just my $.01 cents worth. (my advice isn't worth $.02)

Paul McKechnie

Reply to
Paul

Clean diesel oil at 6000 miles? You must be kidding?

I can't find 228.x oils here in the shops. It's heavy truck oil, isn't it? BTW, those trucks have draining intervals of something like 30 000 miles or more. The oil they use must be really good I suppose. Nevertheless, the truck engines works on maximum 1500 rpm I think, not at 2500-3000 rpm and up to 5000 rpm like a passenger car diesel engine. Therefore, I'm not sure is it a good idea to use truck oil in a passenger car.

Well, my question was only hypothetical. I will continue to change the oil every 6000 miles or less. Finally, I just like to do it, and it is a got occasion to check the underside of the car.

Thanks to you and to Alex for the discussion.

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

emissions

something.

Not kidding. Some engines will only slightly darken their oil at 6000 miles, including some indirect injection ones. Others will dirty their oil so much in the first five minutes that it is impossible to visually indicate whether the oil was changed or not.

adverse

It used to be. However, API CH4 is almost equivelent to 228.3 long drain oil in its performance and longevity.

The oil is good, the engines are good and the filtration is good.

Nevertheless, the

2200 to 2600rpm. Maximum torque might be at between 1200 and 1500 and they are most efficient between 1200 and 1800 rpm, so this is where they spend most time, just as my Land Cruiser has max torque at 1800 and the gearbox is optimised to work the engine at 1500 to 2500 in top gear, although it does rev to 4300.

not at 2500-3000 rpm and up

No problem whatsoever. The latest MB229 range of oils are termed 'multifleet', which means that they are suitable for latest petrol engines as well as diesel. The petrol engines are now being run with heavy duty long-drain oils which used to be used in diesels. The main concern when using heavy duty oils in cars is to make sure the viscosity is suitable and that the engine is well past the running-in stage before such oils are used if they are not reckommended from new. They may inhibit the running-in process and cause high oil consumption. They are just so good.

No problem.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Using the same oil? I would start looking for another brand having better washing and absorbing capabilities if the oil is clean after 6 kmi yet...

BR Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

Yes. I have a mixed fleet of various diesel vehicles and plant/equipment mostly run on mb228.3 long drain oil.

Not 100% clean obviously, but not anywhere near as dirty as my Land Rover oil [the same 229.3 oil] gets after the first five minutes with fresh oil. Of course this particular visual assessment only effectively measures carbon deposited and suspended in the oil and no other polluting or degrading factor. Not all engines, in fact few engine families when compared, pollute their oil equivalently and even then there seems to be little relation between blackening of the oil and recommended oil change intervals as specified by the manufacturer.

Huw

Reply to
Huw