116 Speedometer Howling

Yesterday I drove the old 300SD to San Francisco. When I started on the freeway the speedometer suddenly started howling - definitely speed related - howl suddenly starts at 25 mph and increases from there. It's
definitely the cable end or the bearing into the speedometer.
Normal at low speeds then a full blast howl!
Anyone have this experience??
If so how was it repaired? Cable? Speedo?
1980 300SD 110K miles.
Tom

Pull the cluster forward a little, undo the speedo cable, shoot a tiny bit of graphite on there per the factory, and put it back together.
Richard Sexton wrote:

    Reminds me of lubing clutch cables in motorcycles. For those they sell cans and applicators to avoid messy jobs.
--
Mauricio raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

Grease will harden with age. They tell you to use graphite and nothing else for a reason.