123 series ignition module

Old style solid state. We try to repair as a new one is not available, it was from an old model, 1986, a transistor like component marked 1012 is shorted.
Can we modify the wiring and substitute with another module, or even better, can someone tell us what the 1012 is and if there is an NTE replacement?
Bart Bervoets
1985 was the last of the 123 series..... 1986 was the start of the 124 series, around Aug 1985.
What is the part number of the ignition module you have?

There are people who rebuilds them... go to mbcoupes.com and check under parts supplier.
If the ignition advance is in the distributor ( vacuum and centrifical) then you can us a MSD 6A ignition unit. I have been running one on my 84 500 SEL for several years and it works great. Paul Paul's Auto Electric