123 to 126 engine swap help please

I am in a fix.. engine in the sd developed a rod knock [I think] and I need this car really bad. I have a good 300td turbo engine I can use.

I would like to run this engine in the 126 till I find a regular sd engine.. [besides I have a td I need this engine for.

Is it OK to just 'plug'/close off/ the lines to the hydraulic pump and run it dry?

I assumed the oil filter housings were identical but for the oil gauge/ sender units, but upon trying to swap them, I see the 126 housing has the little wheel/spring thing mounted near flush to the housing as opposed to the 123 housing, this plastic finned wheel is indented about a quarter inch. What is this thing? 4 little fins, plastic? looks like it turns, but what turns it? On one of the housings the little fins on this wheel are broke off.. are they swapable?

Anything else I should know? This groups help has been greatly appreciated in the past.. good folks here.. :) TIA -Gary

Ps.. on the 126 rod-knock noise, it is really really huge.. I pulled the valve cover and hoped to find a loose rocker or something but all looks normal..

Reply to
Colton Motor Express #6 Here!

Here are the part numbers on the 2 oil filter housings.

Off the 126 ----- 617 184 04 02 also has a M1 on lower part

Off the 123 ----- 615 184 01 02 also has a M9 on lower part

Thanks again for any help..

Reply to