123 transaxle help

Hi all, With the car jacked up, how much free play should the half axle have before it turns the driveshaft? This is an automatic, in neutral. I am suspecting a bad differential or busted gear somewhere in the back end, and I have some play in the offending wheels half axle, just not sure how much it should be ?? Thanks ahead, Jim

Reply to
<benz831

Boy, that's tough without actually being there to take a look. I'd grab each axle shaft and try to twist it with the wheels on the ground to see if there is play in the outer CV joint. Then I'd do the same with each wheel individually raised off the ground to see if there is any play with the inner CV joint. Also keep an eye on the drive shaft while doing this to see if play between the ring and pinion gears is acceptable. You should also do this with the drive shaft to make certain the U joints are okay. Good luck.

Reply to
The earnest one