123 wagon winter wheels

Howdy. Anyone know of skinny 15 inch wheels that will bolt on, and what they came from? Steel wheels are fine, winter isnt a fashion show. I have an 82 300TD wagon and am looking forward to another winter in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I live in a rural area and take a winding one-lane road to work through numerous deep canyons. I have used "spike spiders" for the last two years on the rare instances when the car won't just plow through, and have found that normal chains work better when it's really bad out there. I am looking into another set of wheels for studded snow tires, and am considering a size change. The wheels are a 5 on 4.5 pattern, and proper tires have a 24 inch diameter. Has anyone tried a set of narrower wheels from something else, and of larger diameter? I think a 26 inch tire is about all that will fit. The reasoning is that a narrower tire will be better at finding the road beneath the snow, and the surface pressure will be higher, helping the studs to dig into the ice. taller will keep the oil pan and fuel tank a bit higher, reducing "sledding". Since the car weighs so much, those tires should be rated for a light truck, but I cant search that until I have a wheel size. I am also considering altering the hydraulic control mounting bracket so that I can pull a cable and raise the rear fuel tank a bit higher out of the snow, that would have helped a few times.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Happy Trails

Any W126 wheels will fit the W123. Check with Tirerack.com on skinnier snow tire size... Yes, they do recommends on size skinnier for winter performance.

From there, you can determine the width of the wheel required for that tire.

I would choose 14" wheels if possible but tire sizes are getting limited for

14" wheels. 15" is recommended and tirerack do have those 15" wheels you need for $100 each new.

I highly recommends Nokian Hakka snow tires. I have been use Studless tires for decades and they are awesome. Nokian last far longer than any other tires I have known.

In your case, you need to decide if your state allows spikes... if so, it is probably to you benefit to buy the studded Nokian tires.

Reply to
Tiger

You are the Man, Tiger. I will prowl the yards down in the Valley for 126 wheels. The availability is why i want 15 inch tires. It took me two months to get delivery of a set of 14s rated to carry the weight of a VW camper. I have done well with the 300TD on Uniroyal Tiger Paws, but the 14inch winter selections are not good. Studs are legal in CA, and CHP guys on the Grapevine north of los Angeles are amazed when i show up with them in winter, but let me go where citiots fear tread/

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Don't forget the lugbolts to go with it. Remember, Tirerack has the replica for $99 a wheel with lugbolts so don't pay too much for old wheels.

Reply to
Tiger