126 MPH Jaunt Leads to Jail: Man Gets 12 Days for Sprint on GW Parkway

Page 1 of 2
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/11/AR200 ...
126 MPH Jaunt Leads to Jail: Man Gets 12 Days for Sprint on GW Parkway
By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer Friday, May 12, 2006; B01
A Georgetown University law student who was trying to impress his girlfriend admitted yesterday that he cranked up his new Infiniti to 126 mph on the George Washington Memorial Parkway -- among the highest speeds ever clocked on the stretch of federal road.
Drew Hoffman, 28, pleaded guilty to one count of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor, in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, and for this he will spend 12 days in jail and a year on probation. His attorney, Jim Clark, said Hoffman "had a new car for the first time in his life, and a great stretch of road at 4 a.m., with no one on it. . . . To say that he is remorseful is a gross understatement."
In a brief interview afterward, Hoffman, an Oklahoma native who lives in the District, said his early morning cruise was "a complete lack of judgment. There is no other explanation."
Sgt. Scott Fear, a U.S. Park Police spokesman, said Hoffman was stopped at 3:55 a.m. on March 12 traveling south on the parkway at Turkey Run Park. He said Hoffman quickly pulled onto a ramp but wound up trapped because the ramp led to CIA headquarters.
"It appeared he was trying to lose the officer real quick," Fear said. "The officer just kind of smiled, knew he couldn't go anywhere and pulled up and got him." Hoffman was arrested and taken to a Park Police station before being released. His girlfriend, who had been a passenger, drove the silver 2006 Infiniti G35 back to the police station.
Prosecutors said in court that they could not recall anyone going faster than 126 mph on the parkway, and U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry R. Poretz told Hoffman: "In 15 years on the bench, having adjudicated literally thousands and thousands of speeding cases, this is the highest that I've ever had."
Law enforcement officials said later that two motorcycles were clocked last year going 160 mph on the parkway but were never caught. A third motorcyclist going 110 was charged and sentenced to 15 days in jail.
While speeds of more than 100 mph on the parkway are exceedingly rare, officials said they are detecting increasing speeds on highways across the Washington area. That echoes national trends, which have shown higher rates of speed since Congress repealed the national maximum speed limit of 55 in 1995. Since then, 31 states have raised their speed limits to 70 mph or higher, according to the Arlington-based Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "I think it's more acceptable now to go fast because speed limits are up, we don't see them being enforced as aggressively on highways and we see cars being advertised as having 400 horsepower," said Adrian Lund, the institute's president. "This is sending a message to people who are interested in speeding that maybe it's okay."
Law enforcement officials, hoping to send a message to the public to slow down, were quick to condemn Hoffman for exceeding the 50 mph speed limit by more than 75 mph. "His actions were dumb and dangerous," said Chuck Rosenberg, the U.S. attorney in Alexandria. "People die on our roads all the time. We certainly don't need folks hitting 126 mph just to see what their cars can do."
Fear said Hoffman's speed was particularly excessive on the parkway, which winds along the Potomac River with speed limits that range from 25 to 50 mph. "It's a scenic parkway. It wasn't designed to be a superhighway," he said.
Hoffman, wearing a gray business suit with a blue tie, stood before Poretz with his head bowed yesterday and said: "I know I made a mistake. I hope you can see based on my past record that it won't happen again."
The judge fined him $1,200 and said he could not drive a car for the first 60 days of his probation and only on a restricted basis after that. The 12 days in jail could be served on weekends.
"This was an absolute lack of judgment," Poretz said. "You could have killed yourself. You could have killed the other person in the car. You could have killed someone else."
Hoffman wound up in federal court because the 23.5 mile stretch of parkway from Mount Vernon to McLean -- except the part in the city of Alexandria -- is federal land. Fear said Park Police wrote more than 7,000 citations on the parkway last year and that the numbers are rising this year.
The conviction should not affect Hoffman's eligibility to be a lawyer. Asked if he learned anything that would help his legal career, Hoffman said it would enable him to sympathize with clients "who demonstrate that this is out of character."
Add pictures here
βœ–

126mph? That's news? A Mazda Protegι will do that. <snore> zzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzz.....zzzzzzzz......
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
cp wrote:

So would my old 1988 Porsche 911. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Yeah, and my 1997 Ford Explorer will still hit 115+ with over 109,000 miles on it!!
Davehd

Add pictures here
βœ–

109K miles? Barely broken in.
cp.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Uh huh. The last Ford I had required a new engine and $5000 worth of rust repair at that milage.
βœ–
Richard Sexton wrote:

We got the engine replaced in our Subaru Outback at 50K miles because of piston slap. They use short skirt pistons to make the gas mileage look better; it doesn't get any better mileage than any MB we've owned!
Add pictures here
βœ–

hmmmmm ok 109K for a Ford IS impressive. At least for American Fords. The two German Fords we've had were quite good cars and they're not (or were not) generally known to be the best cars there either.
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
Actually just turned 110k this morning.
Davehd

Add pictures here
βœ–

And it's still running?? =)
My friend's father's Chevy truck made it past 650,000 MILES on the original engine, now THAT is impressive, but then with a huge v8 engine it has no excuse but to be robust and last a long time
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
It has an SOHC V6 and is still running quite strong.
Davehd

Add pictures here
βœ–
At 110K miles it has no excuse not to, it's basically broken in, at least by Mercedes standards (of yesteryear perhaps), this being a Mercedes group.
cp

Add pictures here
βœ–
My Merc ('98 C230) has 109,000. I agree on both counts!! ;-)
Davehd

Add pictures here
βœ–
Can't imagine why. My truck's been parked in the driveway everyday since I bought it without any shelter, and I am just beginning to see a couple of small areas that might need some attention. I also live in the "Rust Belt" where they salt everything.
Davehd

βœ–

By Japanese standards, it is worn out.
In Japan (which has the strictest e-test requirements in the world), motors generally fail at 50,000kms and need to be replaced.
Add pictures here
βœ–
sir krustin wrote:

Hmmm...that's about the time my Subaru started really clanging due to piston slap caused by short skirts to make gas mileage look good. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Must be a inbuilt design, apparently they want people to go through a car every couple of years.
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
cp wrote:

Well, that's one way to insure they stay in business, as as Barnum, the carnival owner once said, "There's one born every minute." (A fool that will buy tickets to my carnival.)
I really don't know how GOOD companies stay in business. I had a General Electric uwave oven that lasted from 1976-2006. Of course I bought another last month when the old one went out. But the folks that built that original oven are probably dead and gone so it did them no good that I was a repeat customer.
Point to ponder? Not really. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
I guess it's a case of built in obsolesence.
But the people I know who've lived in Japan say that it is strongly encouraged for people to recycle their cars every couple of years, perhaps they need the metal.
cp

Add pictures here
βœ–
Uh, let's keep in mind that the truck weighs in at over 4,200 pounds. 115 mph is a LOT to be pushing 4200 pounds to!! Especially with the aerodynamic coefficient of a barn door!
Davehd

Add pictures here
βœ–