??? $14,000 ??? for a 1983 W126 380SEL ???

Well,went hunting for a 560SEC and ran upon this 380SEL with 195,000 miles,weathered interior,cracked taillight(s),chip in windscreen,chips in paint at all points and sloppy suspension.I have absolutely no
knowledge of the W126 line,but what memo did I miss?The owner has it on consignment at an used car lot and think part of the inflated price is due to the dealer but not that much!!What's a ballpark figure for an extremely nice example?
Wow, I would buy if it is missing one zero ($1400) :-)
CaptainW116 wrote:

Why would you want this old slug? The 380 V-8 only makes about 155 HP - at that rate and for all that weight a diesel might just be quicker!
At about 40 HP / liter this vintage of engines is just plain old obsolete - gas or diesel. The diesel has an economy advantage so we diesel drivers overlook their lack of power.
By comparison, and to see where the path to progress leads, the new 3.5 L V-6 gas makes about 78 HP / Liter, likewise, at 75 HP / L. the new 224 HP 3.0L V-6 diesel. That's progress.
To come back to your $ question a runout 380SEL, as you describe this one, is worth about $2,500 in running condition, IMHO. Even if you fix it up, it's still an old dog.
I admit that I did entertain the idea,that is until the salesman told me the price and put me in a state of shock! $5000 tops is what I thought the price would be! What attracted me to it was that undeniable classic MB styling and was not aware the engine was so gutless(salesman rode with me so I couldn't get a real world idea).
Hope I don't come off as "fem",but I can't stand the smell of diesels!Also the extremely cold environment I live in makes life with a diesel a pain in the rear(plug in,anti-gel additive,thaw etc..........)

But wasn't that because of all the enviro restrains on the engine?
cp

You're in Alaska, that explains it, not much supply up there in terms of Benz choice, eh?
cp
cp wrote:

107s a plenty,201,126.Unbelievable amounts of 163,140,129,124,202,201,203,210,220.A couple 215,208 and 170.Rarely seen 114/115,123,116,108/109.Have not seen a 111 and only one 113.Also rare and one of my favorites, THE UNIMOG!!!!