190 2.3

Can someone please give me some advice my tempter gauge will go pass 80 when the car is sitting idling but as soon as I start to drive it drops to 40 and then I have no heat the anti-freeze is right up . however my centre
vent only blows cold air and the two corner ones blow hot could some one tell me what I should be checking thanks Frank
First, in the 190E, no heated air is ever passed thru the center console vents, only the left and right side, footwells and up to the windscreen, that's just how the white lab coats in Stuttgart designed it. Only "unheated" air (fresh and a/c) will ever come through those center vents.
As for your engine temp, you should have a look at the auxillar fan while the car is idling in the driveway. It should automatically spin on and off from time to time, to help regulate the coolant temp while not moving. If it does not move, you either have a failed/disconnected temperature sensor at the front of the engine block, or the fan and/or it's magnetic clutch has failed.

That is very interesting! I have been wondering about this in my car, and I guess now I know the answer! Thanks!
Your problem sounds like the thermostat? it's normal for the car when idling to go over 80C usually to about 110C , at which time the aux fan should keep it around there.
When driving though, the primary thermostat should close as the temperature goes below 80C and keep the engine running right around there.
So, replace the thermostat!
Marty
The car is a 1992