190 e air conditioning

My 190 e air conditiioner died and the dealer says $2525 to repair. Says it needs a new compressor and a new control module. My questions: How do I know the dealer is right about the control module? What else could cause the AC to not work at all? Can I replace the control module myself with a rebuilt or used unit to see if the compressor works? Anyone out there have experience with this? How about some help with a good source of used or rebuilt parts?

Bill Brophy Bill Brophy Owner ---Bill Brophy Audio Productions--- Salem, OH

Reply to
Bill Brophy Audio Productions

Mmm... $2525? Isn't that cost more than what the car is worth? Aren't stealer silly? Trying to get more money from the customer than what the car they are fixing is worth?

No freaking way I would spend that money. Change the compressor yourself... you can get a rebuilt one for $225 and put it in yourself with new o-ring seals... new accumulator... and some oil.

Reply to
Tiger

Typically on the W201's at this age, the compressor is the primary suspect, either from leaks, bad clutch or just wear from lack of lubrication. New compressors are pricey, just south of $900, but as said, rebuilts are a fraction of that. A dealer won't price you a rebuilt. Installing a compressor on either the 2.3 or 2.6 is a half day affair for a good shop, perhaps more on a 2.6 since most of the front end of the car has to be removed to gain access. To complete the job, you'd need some new o-rings, a reciever/drier, oil and the R132a, assuming the system has been converted.

As for the climate control module, that's wheel and button unit in the center console. Recycled units are available.

Get a second opinion.

Reply to
MTI