190 E stereo

my stereo (factory) in my 190 just stopped.....well actually it still works but at full volume you can barely hear it..... it used to sound great....2 independent shops have said it's the amp - which
they say is a sererate unit in a mercedes....how much of a hassle is this to repair/replace.....anyone else had this problem.....thanks
Just replace the entire unit with a new one... Becker are not worth fixing.

sorry...i disagree with that last sentence...in a 190E maybe... you pay fortunes, if your fintail came without it...

fixing.
The audio system in an '89 190 is junk and very antiquated. The Becker Grand prix tape/radio is from another age as the developed nations of the world have been listening to music from CD for twenty years! The o.e. paper-faced (non-coaxial) speakers are too old to sound good. Removing the radio is very simple.

works
which
I replaced my factory stereo (1991 190e 2.6) with with an Alpine cassette with CD changer control. The speakers were shot and I replaced fronts with Sony's and the rear with Clarion 6.5" (they fit nicely in the speaker holder with a little cutting of the plastic). The improvement was tremendous.
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:19:56 -0600, "sherman barnes"