190D starting

1984 190D During the last cold spell (down in the 20s) turning the key after the glow light went out it took about 4 or 5 seconds for the battery to make contact with the starter. Once it did, it started instantly, as always. Once the temperature went back up starting returned to normal - cranked instantly when key was turned.

Does this mean anything? I don't remember it happening in winters past.

Reply to
John

The starter's solenoid or its worn brushes are the problem, IMHO.

Cold weather stresses things and so accentuates otherwise unnoticed problems. The starter's brushes are carbon and simply wear with use and yours have been used a lot.

A new starter will cure the problem, if you choose to install a new one be sure its a Bosch remanufactured starter, not some unknown over the counter unit. Remember, the old Bosch starter lasted all this time.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks I was afraid it was something like that.

Reply to
John