190D vin number help

I have 2 cars and am not sure exactly what they are. I was told they were a 59 190D and a 60 190D. (The California DMV registration list them both as 1960 190D's) I ordered parts for the '59 and used the starter off the '60 in the '59 and they were the same or fit perfectly. The only difference I can see is the tail light is bigger in the supposed '60 and there is a windshield washer bag under the hood in the '60. The vin numbers are 12111010009353 for the supposed

1960 and 1211109510802A for the supposed 1959. I have not been able to find a good site with vin number ID One site was helpful but incomplete.
of you have any suggestions? The parts places seem to cut of at1960 and if my supposed '59 is really a '60 it would make my searchesmuch easier. wolf1
Reply to
wolf1

How about calling MB Classic, Wolf?

Reply to
Tiger

Wolf:

This may be of some help to you. The VIN system used by Mercedes coincidentally changed for the 1960 model year.

The system used from 1953 to 1959 was made up of 13 digits. 121.111 represents the specific model 190 D or 190 Db both with sliding roof. The next two digits,

95, represent the production year in reverse order, so this is indeed a car built in 1959.

For 1960 to 1980, a new VIN system was used in which the first 6 digits are the same as above. The next two digits represent 1 = left hand drive (2 = RHD) and

0 = manual transmission (1 = Hydrak, 2 = auto transmission). As you can see, your 1960 model does follow this pattern and is a LHD, manual car.

Therefore, it seems very plaudsible that you have a car built in 1959 and one built in 1960 or later. However, a car built in late 1959 could be considered a

1960 model. This may be why the CA DMV has both listed as 1960 models.

Best regards,

Danny

Reply to
E 55 AMG

They usually give you phone mail and do not return the calls I have made. But I may try again. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Boy that is really helpful. Where did you get that kind of information? Ordering parts is a lot easier for a '60 than a '59. So far I just gambled and used the 1960Db parts and the fuel filter and oil filter were perfect. I had to swap starters and the 60 fit the 59 but actually had an older part number on it (based on info from my local electrical repair man "Rusty"- he worked on a 1960 IH diesel generator for me did a great job). Thanks again. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Their web site from 1959 to 1967 does not include ONE PONTON! Just like the car never existed! wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

The W121 190 D was presented at the IAA 1958, pre-series production began in August 1958 and delivery started in October 1958. Production ended in July 1959, production of the W121 190 Db (internal designation, still

190 D on the trunk) started in June 1959 (which is modelyear 1960 in that case) and ended in September 1961, for the 1962 modelyear a successor came, the 190 Dc (also 190 on the trunk) from the Heckflosser-series, aka fintail in the US.

To name things which were part of the face-lift for the 1960 modelyear:

The front grille is much wider now, the hood is lower, with the old version the grille looks very slim compared to its width. Examples for old version

for new version
Chrome on the rain groove on the sides above the front and rear doors, bumpers rounder and a little big bigger, front bumper had no horns (Europe at least), tail lights longer with integrated cat's eyes (latter before doen at the rear bumper horns), doors got new locks (door to door frame locks), instrument panel got paddings for crash safety on top and lower side, new 2-spoke steering wheel with padded impact adsorber, chrome ring on steering wheel now for horn only, turn signal now operated by dedicated lever left from steering wheel, inside rear-view mirror now dipping.

121.110 was used for both, old and new model.

I have not been able to

You definitely should visit

you can find lots of useful informationregarding your questions.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Fantastic. I had seen that site but lost track of it NOW I need the information. Looks like I am in better shape with the 59 than I thought. Most 60 parts will work.Thank you very much, wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Engine number prefix Included models 136.925 180 121.923 180a 636.930 180D 121.923 180b 636.930 180Db 121.927 180c 621.914 180Dc 121.920 190 621.910 190D 121.920 190b 621.910 190Db 121.921 190SL 121.928* 190SL 180.921** 219 180.921 220a 180.924 220S 127.980 220SE (sedan) 127.984 220SE (cabrio/coupé)

Juergen I got this from the site you sent me to and it verifies that the

621.910 190D and the 190Db have the same engine number the Chassis is the same too 12111. Thanks again wolf
Reply to
wolf1