190E - 1800cc UK car, loss of power...

Hi all, hope someone can help me with my problem!
I have a 91 model 190E (1800cc Manual transmission, with catalytic convertor) Driving home along a the motorway yesterday, realised the car would not go
over 80mph in top gear (about 300rpm roughly) I dipped the clutch and revved the motor, and it responded well enough, but back into gear and the problem persists. Pulling off the motorway onto surface streets, I noticed I had the same problem in every gear - it would get so far and go no further, top-end power has been cut off. Otherwise driving great.
I have noticed a slight rattle coming from the exhaust, and upon inspection last night, noticed the catalytic convertor was very very hot (actually crackling and spitting) and there appears to be a split in the downpipe as it meets the cat. Is this likey to be the problem as regards loss of power? I'm thinking the cat may have broken up internally and is strangling the engine??
Many thanks in advance.
Dave
Your guess that the Cat. Converter may have broken up and clogging the exhaust might be correct. Try tapping it with youtr palm or a piece of wood and see if you can hear any internal rattles. You should also try to determine the cause of the failure. A defective Oxygen sensor could be the culprit. Good luck Peter

revved
problem
power
inspection
I believe you have the right idea about the CAT.
Blocked.
An after market CAT will cost a lot less than a CAT from M-B.