190E 2.3-16 :: sticking accelerator

Hi everyone,

I have the above car with a slight problem: The accelerator keeps sticking down and reving the engine like mad. It seems to mostly happen when moving off after idling for a while (or moving off when the engine is hot). It

*always* happens in traffic jams -- the stop-start motion seems to set it off.

I've cleaned and oiled the linkage but it's not made much difference.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks, R

Reply to
Richard J Whitaker

When I had this problem, it was because of the floor mat pressing against the gas pedal. If it is still a problem, then I suggest you take a look at your gas pedal... manually push your throttle behind that pedal and make sure the movement is smooth... if yes, then it could either be your pedal or the spring that supposed to bring the throttle back to 0.

Reply to
Tiger

Also, it could be the cable/linkage which is mostly plastic in the engine compartment. The adjustable portion of this cable was BROKEN on my car when I bought it, which could tend to stop the cable from sliding like it should.

Pulling the air cleaner should let you examine this.

Another possibility is that the Throttle plate is actually sticking in the throttle body. If the gas pedal and linkage seem to be completely smooth when unhooked, this is your next candidate.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph