190E 2.3 vs. 2.6

Page 2 of 2

How wrong you are, let me count the ways...the 2.3-16 pulled an anemic .78g on the skid pad (R&T) while the 944 pulled .91g. The 944 was the best handling car you could purchase ON THE PLANET in the 80's and to some extent the early 90's. In a straight line, you could only hope to beat an old 8-valve N/A 944 because you would be embarrassed by an old S, S2 or Turbo.

I ran several tests...first comparing comparably equipped 1987 2.3-16 and a 1987 944S. According to nada.com the 1987 944S costs $3900 in poor condition up to $6250 for excellent condition. I gave the 2.3-16 the same features such as leather, sunroof and alloy wheels that came stock on the 944 and the 2.3-16 is valued at $3400 in poor condition and only $5500 for excellent. The average price for the 2.3-16 was only $4600, vs. $5250 for the 944S.
Then the final real world test. I searched at Autotrader for the entire scope of 1987 2.3-16...the average price...$3407, using the exact same criteria, the 1987 944 average price was $7069. Until the 968 got a bit long in the tooth by 1995, you could not and cannot get more sports car value for the money than a 944, period.
Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just fighting off baseless comments.

I think he was talking about a non-turbo :)
How are the late 80's tubo 944, reliable and robust?
cp

Gotta love people that are religious about their cars!
cp
959 vs. 944Turbo?

hmmm lucky us here in Canada, we can get this car :-)

Wow! What's the max speed on those things? From experience the manufacturer max speed listings always seem to be lower :)
cp