190e 2.6 door part failed

I have an '89 190E. The ball and socket part inside the door that makes it open and close smoothly broke at the top and bottom bolt. So, now it makes a big "Whap" sound when the door opens and closes. Strange failure. Is it common?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Common faliure. You need a new check strap.

Reply to
Karl

Yep... very common.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, especially on the rear doors which tend to sit closed a lot more.

This is very interesting to me, as when you go to the dealer to buy these units you will see one of the upsides of owning a older mercedes.

Unlike any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with (and I have dealt with a few) the replacement part the dealer sells you is actually re-engineered to fix this issue.

The original part had a design flaw, which meant that the check ball would allow water to pool around it and eventually this would rust it to shot(causing very difficult door opening/closing).

The replacement item your dealer sells you (about $28 here in Seattle), is covered in a plastic sleeve to prevent this.

I had to replace both of these on the rear doors of my 1986 190e when I bought it, but the drivers door was still OK, and the front passenger door is hanging on too...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph