190E cuts out

my 190E has had a habit of cutting out usually as i am coasting to a junction or starting out from one. VERY DANGEROUS now the problem is worse it cuts out and although it will restart it
cuts out again after 3 to 10 seconds. the dealer cannot trace any fault and has changed several parts in an effort to cure but all to no avail yesterday the AA patrolman tried for two hours but could not diagnose the problem after he had admitted defeat. suddenly for no accountable reason the car ran perfectly again. then today the problem returned without any warning can anyone help or suggest a cure?
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.AutoBoardz.com
interface

thanks for your reply this sounds vrey useful I will check this first thing tomor
"Scott Buchanan" wrote
> Check the "Return To Tank" fuel line on the fuel distributor > to make sure > that it is not plugged. If it is, the distributor can not > control fuel > mixture. > > That was the problem on my 230CE. My symptom was no restart > when hot. After > cooling down it started fine. Out of curiosity, I checked a > 190E and it was > about 90% restricted with rust. > >
> > > my 190E has had a habit of cutting out usually as i am > coasting to a > > junction or starting out from one. VERY DANGEROUS > > now the problem is worse it cuts out and although it will > restart it > > cuts out again after 3 to 10 seconds. > > the dealer cannot trace any fault and has changed several > parts in an > > effort to cure but all to no avail > > yesterday the AA patrolman tried for two hours but could not > diagnose > > the problem after he had admitted defeat. suddenly for no > accountable > > reason the car ran perfectly again. then today the problem > returned > > without any warning > > can anyone help or suggest a cure? > > > > -- > > Posted at author's request, using fully moderated > http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface > > Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/190E-cuts-ftopict246393.html

I would start with a "wiggle" test. With the engine idling wiggle and pull on every electrical connection you can get your hands on until the symptom is reproduced.
What year is your 190E? On early version, you would have fuel pump relay... on later version, you need Klima relay (where fuel pump relay and AC relay combines). Another possible cause is the overload relay (the one with red fuse on the top) cause this problem. This is typical parts to replace for this problem.
There is another part but that depends if you have 4 or 6 cylinders.
most problems on these seem to be the OVP relay behind the battery, shake it to see if it rattles, and check the fuse....
Just came across this thread.
Interestingly I have had what appears to be a similar problem with my 1993 190E 2 litre. I have called the RAC twice (Britain's other major motoring organisation). For afficionados of London, once I broke down near Parliament Square in the morning rush-hour among the roadworks which narrow the side street, on the school run...
Nothing found. A new fuel pump relay -- previously fitted by an independent garage -- did not solve it.
The car was taken to a Merc garage for testing. They could not reproduce the problem, just once they said they had what might have been a cut-out. (They didn't charge me!) Their suggestion for dealing with it cost several hundred pounds and was not a guaranteed fix, so I left it.
It seems I could just leave the car to stand and it will restart after a few minutes. Hasn't happened for a while, though. The car passed its MoT test (annual British roadworthiness test) without any problems and runs well.
Weird.
DAS
"mike" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:XCnSj.95467$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
In your case, I would suspect the overload protection relay.
Interesting. Shall suggest it to Merc....
Thx very much.
DAS
"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:48509288$0$7334$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net...
PS. I had another cut-out issue on my 2001 CLK 320 bu there the Merc garage pulled off the e-data for immediate diagnosis and repair.
The 190E yields very little data, being such an old car.
DAS
"Dori A Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:IpednR8AHdZb2M snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...