190E Daily Driver Opinions?

The 635 is a 85. But forget about that,what about that 328/308 Ferrari?Wanna trade?

Reply to
CaptainW116

Wish I could say I owned one so I could trade.

Hey, is this 86 190 2.3 an injected car or does it have carbs? That huge air filter on the top looks carb related. If so, would the car be any less dependable or troublesome with a carb?

Reply to
Paddington

Should be Bosch KE-Jetronic and less troublesome than a carb! As long as you change fuel filter when you change spark plugs, then all should be OK.

Reply to
CaptainW116

Sounds great. One more quick question: Did the 1986 2.3 have 130hp, or is it one of the lower compression engines from the 84/85 years?

Appreciate it.

Reply to
Paddington

Don't know the stats,but it is probably safe to say it has about a

8.0: 1 compression ratio! 8.5:1 tops! HP sounds about right at about 4900-5300 RPM!
Reply to
CaptainW116

Hey guys...

I just called on another local 190E and found a steal! It's an 87 2.6, guy just put $2200 dollars into it for stuff like a water pump, head gasket, chain tensioners, etc. 120,000 miles for only $2100. No rust. Clean inside and out. Sounds like something to jump on huh?

Reply to
Paddington

Sounds good but still worth checking out, could be another hidden $2000 job waiting, like a cracked head after all the head work.

cp

Reply to
cp

This car was in the earlier part of its life in 1986; the model ran till

1993.

I'd look for a later one, which would have many (factory) improvements.

I have even heard it said -- exaggeration possibly -- that the late W201 has practically no parts the same as the early one.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Mercs (older ones at least) are set to drive off in 2nd unless pushed.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

That's certainly the case with my 1989 190e. To take off in 1st you either sink the boot in hard or move the lever into 2nd, whereupon it'll take off in 1st even on a light throttle. It was designed that way.

Reply to
Jim Vatunz