190e idle problems - mechanical or electrical ?

Hi Group!
Ok...1/2 good news. changes oil and filter now engine runs smooth, with no extra noises.
still...the rough idle presists...i am beginning to think, the "bad head
gasget" wasn't it after all. i mean, the gasket didn't look to good after 160k miles, but was still funktional.
now, i am clueless, could it be an electrical problem after all? once the enigine gets going, at about 3500 rpm...power is there an it's driveable... below that rev range...there is less power an it sound like it's not igniting as it should...
i read somewhere, that someone had the exact symptoms on his 190e , an it was a broken wire somewhere in the main wireing harness..
i guess i now need help from you experienced mercedes guys again.
thanks... alex

Web: www.ahemmerich.info
The 190 is prone to bad solder joints. The climate control system is a nightmare. I have a 190D and like it, but repairs can be difficult. do you have all new ignition components? I havent been on this group in a year or two so I dont know your history. KH
Web:

Hi! Thanks for the comment!
Had compression checked today...about 188 psi (13bar) on each cylinder...almost no difference between the 4 pretty good for 160k miles, right? so my head gasget job was ok i guess... now...I left the car with an independant mercedes mechanic an hope he finds out what my patient has...
in addition I replaced about every temp sensor I could find...got a little better the funny thing is, when the car has been sitting through a cold night...the next mornung it runs pefekt for about 10 minutes...it starts on the first quarter of a crank (and it was no warmer than 30F last night) then the engine shakes start....that's why I thought of some temp sensors problem....
I checked fuel pump, fuel pump relais and engine control unit...found no bad wires, yet wish me luck here!
my guess would be the EZL ignition unit, right before the distributer...or maybe ignition coil... I'll wait an see what he says...will kepp you informed... if any of you have any additional ideas....I'll appreciate you sharing them. Alex
Web:

ok...he called...I picked up the car...guess what he said...spark wire in cylinder 1 had a defect !!!
I PAYED 170 DOLLARS to my mercedes dealership for him to tell me that my head gasket blew...and ignition is fine....and it must be the head gasket....he had the car one complete day!!!
then I bring it to an independant mechanic...he fixes my car for 30 bucks in no time....
this is just making me mad. good thing is...I have got a brand new gasket now and a perfektly fine 190E.
I can tell you this...this mercedes dealership will never see my car again, nor any of my money. thats just a shame...I guess they cant fix cars anymore...where there issnt a nice diagnosis plug where you can hook it up and the car tells you what its got....
ok...but thanks for all your help! i am glad, that it was just this wire...usually I find these things myself, but did not bother, because I payed allready to have some "professional" to look for it...
Alex
Hemmerich wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE="CITE">the funny thing is, when the car has been sitting through a cold night...the <BR>next mornung it runs pefekt for about 10 minutes...it starts on the first <BR>quarter of a crank (and it was no warmer than 30F last night) <BR>then the engine shakes start....that's why I thought of some temp sensors <BR>problem....</BLOCKQUOTE>Just by this problem (not finishing reading all your postings yet), it MAY be an air leak from the intake.&nbsp; Remember that a cold start has enriched fuel coming in.&nbsp; When engine warms up, the control unit decides to use normal fuel volume.&nbsp; However, the air leak causes too much air so the mixture becomes too thin.&nbsp; To prove this point, you need to fake the temp sensor (there are many and you need to find out exactly which one feeds to the control unit) to make the control unit 'thinks' it's an cold engine.&nbsp; To find out the air leak, use carburetor cleaner or starting fluid to spray around air passage.&nbsp; Engine runs well when sucking such fuel, instead of air.&nbsp; But be careful not to have any spark.&nbsp; Good luck, and let us know what the answer is. </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Im glad its over for you. Im still in repair hell. I have the unfixable climate control system. KH
Hemmerich wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE="CITE">the funny thing is, when the car has been sitting through a cold night...the <BR>next mornung it runs pefekt for about 10 minutes...it starts on the first <BR>quarter of a crank (and it was no warmer than 30F last night) <BR>then the engine shakes start....that's why I thought of some temp sensors <BR>problem....</BLOCKQUOTE>Just by this problem (not finishing reading all your postings yet), it MAY be an air leak from the intake.&nbsp; Remember that a cold start has enriched fuel coming in.&nbsp; When engine warms up, the control unit decides to use normal fuel volume.&nbsp; However, the air leak causes too much air so the mixture becomes too thin.&nbsp; To prove this point, you need to fake the temp sensor (there are many and you need to find out exactly which one feeds to the control unit) to make the control unit 'thinks' it's an cold engine.&nbsp; To find out the air leak, use carburetor cleaner or starting fluid to spray around air passage.&nbsp; Engine runs well when sucking such fuel, instead of air.&nbsp; But be careful not to have any spark.&nbsp; Good luck, and let us know what the answer is. </BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Hi Guys ...
Got the same problem .... engine stall at low speed or hard braking at lights...
Have this problems for about 6 months and still haven't found a cure for it....
Component Changed New OVP relay New Fuel Pump relay New A/C Relay New Ignition Coil New Idle valve New Fuel Microswitch New Thottle cable New Brake Booster line New Fuel Pump / fillter / Accumlator New Fuel Injector
Any ideas ....
The Bee 190er 1.8 Euro
OK, I looked up your previous posts. Check all vacuum lines for cracks. Does that thing have a throttle position sensor? KH
Web:

Hey, have you been to www.190revolution.net ? I just found the place. They arent really that Guru like, but they have some info there. KH
Web: