190E lose steering

Haven't driven my 190E for a while (kids are driving it) but noticed today that the steering on it has a fair amount of 'play'. Where/how does this play develop? any pointers?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I was hurrying and not clear. Is the play most likely to develop in the idler bushing or in the tie rod knuckles by the wheel? I guess it could be in the steering box but unlikely I'd think

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Typically steering play is due to wear or maladjustment at the steering linkages, all the way up to the pitman arm. There is a hex bolt adjustment screw at the top of the steering box, but it's best to rule out suspension wear first.

Reply to
MTI

At the age of the car it's not gonna hurt to adjust the steering box a bit, just don't do it too much. Your manual has the procedure.

This is why the adjustment is there.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Reply to
Thom

thanks for the pointers..... I guess I will need to lift it up in the front and see what has play.... at 13 years old a lot can losen.... interestingly my '89 300e has no such problems even though it's got 75k more km.... Hmmm maybe MB did build them better earlier

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

It could also be as bad as a worn steering gear, or it could be as simple as a loose pitman arm to pitman arm shaft mounting.

A very little play here will feel quite significant. That's why it should be fixed with locktite. Anyway, try to check this.

MTI wrote:

Reply to
Jens