190E lose steering

Haven't driven my 190E for a while (kids are driving it) but noticed today that the steering on it has a fair amount of 'play'. Where/how does this play
develop? any pointers?
cheers, guenter
I was hurrying and not clear. Is the play most likely to develop in the idler bushing or in the tie rod knuckles by the wheel? I guess it could be in the steering box but unlikely I'd think
cheers

All the parts are pretty cheap. I spent less than $120.00 from Rusty and replaced both the left and right side tie rods, plus the drag link (or center tie rod, whatever you want to call it). IT took about 30 minutes after I put it on the jack stands. An easy driveway fix.
If you will measure the current tie rods, and set the new ones to the same length, then you can get the alignment very close to what it was before the exchange. I did this for mine, and when I had it aligned, it required no adjustments to the tie rods when they were aligning it. Guenter Scholz wrote:

thanks for the pointers..... I guess I will need to lift it up in the front and see what has play.... at 13 years old a lot can losen.... interestingly my '89 300e has no such problems even though it's got 75k more km.... Hmmm maybe MB did build them better earlier
cheers, guenter
Typically steering play is due to wear or maladjustment at the steering linkages, all the way up to the pitman arm. There is a hex bolt adjustment screw at the top of the steering box, but it's best to rule out suspension wear first.
It could also be as bad as a worn steering gear, or it could be as simple as a loose pitman arm to pitman arm shaft mounting.
A very little play here will feel quite significant. That's why it should be fixed with locktite. Anyway, try to check this.
MTI wrote:

At the age of the car it's not gonna hurt to adjust the steering box a bit, just don't do it too much. Your manual has the procedure.
This is why the adjustment is there.